Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just started riding again after a 27 year break...

Everything is as it was then except....totally different... :\

Riding a 1981 CB900....

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Yep, the danger with people in cages is even more so now with the idiots busy texting since they just know they are so good at multitasking. But welcome back and....

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just a totally different experience.. When I was a kid riding was second nature and my first car was a bike... Now it's like relearning and I think I know too much as far as risks go... As a young man I rode my little GS550 up from New Orleans to Long Island without giving it a second thought, now the idea of doing such a thing seems daunting...

I'm pretty comfortable again now, just the highways especially the twisty ones in traffic gives me the willies at times...

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
You've got more to LOSE now............

"Welcome," from CT

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I was thinking more to lose in the "what's worth keeping" department!! (lol).

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
420 Posts
Welcome Trondyne, you're probably not that unusual as far a taking a long break from bikes. I took off 28 years when my first daughter was born and didn't get back into it until the last of 4 daughters finished college. Life sometimes get's in the way.:(

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome Trondyne, you're probably not that unusual as far a taking a long break from bikes. I took off 28 years when my first daughter was born and didn't get back into it until the last of 4 daughters finished college. Life sometimes get's in the way.:(

So how did it feel? I was kind of expecting to just jump back on and pick up where I left off... Not the case for me...how about you?

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. There are many of us that have started riding Again after an extended break.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Welcome to the Forum. There are many of us that have started riding Again after an extended break.

Hi Moni, thanks!

You look a little young in your av to be burning rubber on the roads, but that's a pretty spiffy ride... ;)

What was your experience returning to the two wheel world..?

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I had a ten year lay off from the bike, when "I" came back to it.
It was an easy transition, but I'm not the "man" I was, when in my 40's. I'm more conservative, laid back, and mellow these days.

It was easier to choose the "come-back" bike I wanted, tapping into the previous years of experience. I made a few changes in my choices this time that have proven to be good
(having a windshield, for one).

There are more mopeds out there these days!!

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Soupy how did you get that big avatar going?
I dunno, honestly. I just uploaded it, and it accepted it. I didn't know if I had any special amount of points or posts or whatever, to meet the requirement.

-Soupy

·
Vintage Rider
420 Posts
So how did it feel? I was kind of expecting to just jump back on and pick up where I left off... Not the case for me...how about you?
I definitely feel like the skills and reflexes aren't up to par. So staying off any freeways and just enjoying some back road slower paced stuff. Also not feeling as invincible as I did in my youth, and a lot more weary of traffic around me making a fatal mistake against me. Would love to get into some trail riding though.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I definitely feel like the skills and reflexes aren't up to par. So staying off any freeways and just enjoying some back road slower paced stuff. Also not feeling as invincible as I did in my youth, and a lot more weary of traffic around me making a fatal mistake against me. Would love to get into some trail riding though.
How long have you been back on?

My first experience riding (again) was on a bike with really low air in the front tire... I didn't know this at first so my first experience back was scary... I was thinking I don't recall riding feeling like this... lol

After about a month I felt comfortable on regular streets, although now, after a few more months I feel even better... I don't get a chance to get on the highway that often and so I am still not 100% on the highways... especially at night and on dark curvy roads..

Kind of makes me sad because as a young man I loved riding on the highway...and loved the speed... I think it's mainly in my head though and I just need more experience back on..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts