Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I'm also going by how many steel fuel tanks I had rust out and leak at the seams. Those are all seams around the bottom edge of the tanks the plastic chrome trim is covering.

I meant GM as in General Motors

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,631 Posts
I meant GM as in General Motors

Ditto. Maybe you were unaware they used to have an assembly plant in Kansas City, as well as a training center.

And that fuel tank isn't unlike the fuel tank on my JD 3020, that is, before I save it ~20 years ago.

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,620 Posts
Maybe you were unaware they used to have an assembly plant in Kansas City, as well as a training center.
I didn't know it wasn't there anymore. I used to live in KCMO and your choices for employment was General Motors or Western Electric for good paying jobs or Wonder Bread or Coca Cola for the not so good paying. On there were others like Bendix and hospitals and Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward but those were the big ones. Now this is back in the 50's and 60's, so when did GM pull out? Just curious. I left in the late 60's and went to Texas so never looked back. Just sorta surprised they are no longer in operation there.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Rust is what is left of your iron, if you remove the rust you did not replace the lost iron, you removed what was left of the iron after corrosion turned it into dirt.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,631 Posts
I didn't know it wasn't there anymore. I used to live in KCMO and your choices for employment was General Motors or Western Electric for good paying jobs or Wonder Bread or Coca Cola for the not so good paying. On there were others like Bendix and hospitals and Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward but those were the big ones. Now this is back in the 50's and 60's, so when did GM pull out? Just curious. I left in the late 60's and went to Texas so never looked back. Just sorta surprised they are no longer in operation there.

The GM plant in KC is one of the few very clear fond memories from grade school. We had a field trip to that plant back in the 70's, that place was impressive!

Pontiac Grand Prix's were built there in the 90's and it was then that the local GM dealer would send me up for their training as I'm independent, and did the dealers non mechanical warranty work.

Edit to add: fairfax plant is still in KC, the plant I toured in grade school is not. I'm not sure what the build at fairfax anymore.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I serviced **** like this for a living

it was used to examine cross sections of metal so you could examine the grain structure, micro fractures and impurities in the materials. Such as rust.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Sorry to be away for so long. But these two bikes belong to an older relative of mine, and may be available in the next two to three months. I have been busy with other things and have not been able to find anyone who could give me a ballpark value for them (but I haven't tried very hard). I get the idea that they are worth more than I had thought, seeing some of the parts (like carburetors) sell on ebay for more than I thought the bikes were worth. I'm starting to put the word out to friends in the area, and may get permission to sell them fairly soon. I'm going to post a link to a cloud account that has low res pics, don't know yet if I'm allowed to post links, but I'll keep trying.

A short time back I got over to the town they are in, and blew up the tires and surprisingly they held air. I was able to roll the black one out to get better pictures. If I remember right, some on this forum told me not to do anything to them, (like kick the lever to see if they are seized up). Is that right?

Hope the link below is allowed, if so it should work. Still looking for values. Questions welcome. Thanks

MotorCycles - Shared with pCloud

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I hope someone that knows how to restore them gets them. (And then posts a lot of pics here!)

Sorry I can't help with the value, any guess I would make would be that, a guess.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts