Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I have an elder brother-in-law that has two motorcycles that need new homes. They are Hondas, and were parked 22 years ago with gas in the tanks, but had less than 7000 miles on them. I will send some pictures, but where is the best part of the forum to start? Thanks to all.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,635 Posts
Welcome from Kansas!

What are you trying to accomplish here? You trying to sell them or get help getting them running?

You can add photos by selecting the appropriate icon when your writing your post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably sell them, in which case I would need to find out something about the value. I do have a friend that may want to buy them, but he is not a motorcycle guy (and I'm not either). They were running, and not in bad shape. One of them, the 550 Four, didn't have a locked gas cap, and I took it off and it looked like someone had filled the gas tank with potting soil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea what these bikes are worth, or what it would take to get them back road worthy, and what they would be worth then, Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

·
Secret Agent
4,635 Posts
If you're gonna sell them, don't mess with anything. They're in great condition for a collector. Until the gas tanks rust is completely eliminated(and there are chemicals for that), if won't do any good to attempt to get them running.

Perhaps @mike721 will chime in, he's got an old honda that he's sorta restored, might have some good advice. I'm in SE Kansas, what part of Kansas are you in?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Easy double the original list price when they were brand new with a manufacturer warranty.
... that you won't need to honour

Which was a very good investment considering they were not taken particularly good care of.

·
Secret Agent
4,635 Posts
Well I hope you find good homes for them. Their condition appears great, however the tank rust is handled, I hope they know to absolutely protect the exterior finish when using whatever chemical they use to remove the rust.

I'd like both, but I need another project like I minnesota needs more riots and looting. (For those that don't follow, they don't need more riots and looting, they actually need less...)

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
You can't remove rust, rust is what is left of iron after it oxidizes. Rust is steel that is on its way to being soil. These are in original lightly used and unrestored condition.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Come up with a sensible price for the 550k4 and it will be in good hands. The tank might be unsavable.

They have a lot of chrome rot. But they arent terrible.

How bout lets not do whatever is happening with the yellow strap around the pipe and tank on the 360 also

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
OP you should sell those motorcycles to DohcBikes I'm sure he won't rip you off too bad and he has a nice dry place to store them.
... give them a nice sand blast finish and fresh war paint

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
You've obviously never used vapo-rust. That tank may not be able to be saved, but someone that 'thinks' they might be able to save it will probably ruin it.
I sold and serviced metallography microscopes for a living that were used to look at rust alllll through the metal. People like GM owned them.
His tank is toast, the bikes not.

·
Secret Agent
4,635 Posts
I've restored metal for over 30 years. Like I said, his tank may not be able to get saved, but I can't tell them from a photo, I can't even tell until I'd attempt to restore it. But I'd damn sure not ruin that paint trying to save the inside of that tank. And yes, I've been to GM training schools in Kansas City, but schooling has never and will never be a substitute for experience.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts