Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have been riding since I was 14 years old and now 70. ug.

I recently purchased a 1973 Honda CL175 and will be doing some maintenance. Of course this will lead to a lot of questions from this forum. Any and all assistance will be appreciated. Thanks for having me aboard.
Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed, thanks for the welcome. I would add a photo but not sure the proper method since I'm so new on this site.

If you let me know how I will.... Thanks Jim

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I think you have to have 15 posts in order to be able to put up a picture??. But, I am far from an expert, check with Dodsfall.
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum 55ill.
I also live in Illinois but am much younger at 66 today. That tiny Honda will make a good first bike once you get it going. Take a day off next weekend and make it to the Spoon River Festival.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from your neighbor in Missouri.

My dad bought a 1969 Honda 175 street bike when I was a kid and I rode the heck out of it. It only had the center stand and I couldn't put it up on it. When I was finished riding and got off I parked it next to the house so I could lean it against it. Dad would have to put it on the stand for me. It was a great bike! Good Luck with yours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Ed. I live near Ottawa, Illinois along the Illinois river. My wife has two sisters that live in Rogersville, Tn. We get down that way maybe once a year. My wife and I have a 2011 H-D Triglide with a DFT conversion rear end (independent suspension) for our daily ride.... Jim

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hi Ed. I live near Ottawa, Illinois along the Illinois river. My wife has two sisters that live in Rogersville, Tn. We get down that way maybe once a year. My wife and I have a 2011 H-D Triglide with a DFT conversion rear end (independent suspension) for our daily ride.... Jim
Awesome!! I was just up in the Rogersville area on a ride a few weeks ago. Its actually about an hour and a half from me. One of my best friends lives in
Rutledge,TN. and wanted to take me there to Rogersville,There is an interesting place there you should visit if you havn't already, I believe its called the "Pressmans" facility, its where from the early 1900's until I think the mid 50's ( trying to recount from person who told me about it when we went there) that people went to study and learn how to be reporters as I understood it, there is actually a page you can read about it by googling it. Its kinda amazing, they had a complete almost little village there and its in the middle of nowhere just outside Rodgersville! 95% is still standing!
If you ever take rides down here, go to Bikers Rags fb page, its a locally owned business been around a long time, the 2 local owners Jeff and Pam Huggins take rides every Tuesday unless its snowing, then they document where they went and post their pics and video and send it via email to people who "Follow" them ,its no cost and no obligation, I frequently read and see a ride they have taken and take it myself! I have lived here all my life except for my military time ( 1969-1976) and I still see places they have been and posted about , that I never knew about on their ride reports! No, I dont work there, and I am not related, they are just AWESOME folks who look out for their customers and friends, Yes, I am a customer and friend.
Regards again and Welcome again!
If I can be of further assistance please pm me.
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would like to say thank you for all welcoming from everyone on the list.

Oldman47 – I looked up the spoon River Festival, touring map and Fulton county area of events…. Looks like fun. Thanks for the info.

Moni – Sounds like you and your dad had a lot of fun with your’69 Honda 175….. lots of memories. My wife and I ride quite a bit on our tri-glide.

TennesseeZ – Ed, I looked up the “Pressman’s” and Bikers Rags pages on the Web sites….. all very interesting read. The next time we make the trip to Rogersville we will look these up…. Sounds like fun and thanks for the information. I would be nice to see the fall colors in that area…. Nice riding area.

Now back to the little Honda CL175. I wanted to change oil and clean the filter. Draining the oil was a snap but the internal filter is a puzzle as “Clymer” repair manual said remove the right side case cover, remove a clip, remove filter, clean, reinstall. Well, I removed the cover and the screw (no clip) holding the oil filter but had no luck removing it. There are two very small ears on the oil filter housing, tried taping (very lightly) without movement. In doing so I broke one of the small ears… so I stopped. Everything looks very clean including the oil pump sump screen. Do you think I should put it back together and not worry? Sorry for the long message, Jim

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If you end up doing the Spoon river, be sure to do the chicken and noodles at the school in Smithfield for lunch. It supports the school and is basic good food. People who know will not believe you have been there if you miss that lunch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts