Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
On The Road Again!
4,204 Posts
I'm still wondering when Indian will come out with a modern interpretation of the old Indian inline four cylinder engine from the '30s.

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
I got a email today showing that frame mounted fairing and different engine on a Indian. Looks like they are targeting the Road Glide. I also wonder when the inline 4 will be in the Indian lineup.

·
Visionary
5,269 Posts
Interesting, those pictures have been all over recently. That engine or one that looks like it first appeared about 4 years ago in a few fuzzy pics of a Victory test mule bike, I'm sure it crossed over into the Indian line.
Fixed fairing.. it's about time. In my opinion people that don't like fixed fairings haven't tried them or didn't take the time to get used to it. Once you do, you realize it makes so much more sense to not have all that weight and wind pressure on the forks and bars and instead transfer those loads directly to the frame, leaving the steering lighter and so much less effected by winds. The only thing that gives fixed fairings a bad name is people fall into the trap of looking at the fairing, and subconsciously seeing that it doesn't turn, and isn't pointed the way that they expect when doing slow maneuvers and they end up reacting to this illusion and inducing wobbles. It took me a month and some sage advice to get used to this on my Vision, but once I did I realized just how well it works. The succinct and sage advice... "Don't look at the &%#$ing fairing". Once I learned to look past the fairing, in fact to not even notice it, the slow speed wobbles and wiggles I was blaming on the bike all magically dissipated.

Reactions: ketchboy

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
You got it Mike. You should be looking at where you want to go and never look at the fairing. But people do and then give it a bad name when it's really they that should get the bad name. I'd sure like a fixed fairing but I've got the last 2 wheeler I'll ever have. I'll be going 3 at some point so won't be buying one of these new fangled things. But I might test ride one just so I can kick the memory in gear. My K100 was fixed fairing. Loved that bike. Winds in Arizona proved just how much better a fixed fairing is over a batwing.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Demo'd a Road Glide years ago. The fixed fairing never really pinged as significant in my mind. I tend to think outside the bike when I ride, so fixed or fork mounted doesn't really matter to me, as far as maneuvering goes.

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
I wish they would make something in between the Scouts and the Chiefs....or just make a Scout with a bigger gas tank.

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
I wish they would make something in between the Scouts and the Chiefs....or just make a Scout with a bigger gas tank.
I agree. I think they are missing the boat in that regard but the Scout is a very good option for the height challenged. I can't even test ride a Scout though as it just doesn't fit. Knees nearly hit the handlebars. I hope, if they do make a fixed fairing model, that they don't screw that up by making it so my knees hit it like they do with Goldwings. Maybe it might possibly be that in between the Scout and Chief Vintage model though.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
Yep, that's the engine Victory had in R+D to replace the Freedom106.

Years ago, many Victory owners received "confidential" Emails asking opinions on the cosmetics of the powertrains. We had to agree not so share any of the images before we could take the survey. I did manage to steal a couple screenshots, although I don't know if I'd still get in trouble for sharing them:plain:

I've also found that fixed fairings seem to "disconnect" me from the ride. Though, IMO, they are better in strong winds and seem a bit more stable at higher speeds.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I've had four Goldwings and I liked the fixed fairings. I've now have a Reckless fairing I bought for my Yamaha RSTD. I can feel the weight of it on the front end, but once I get it moving on the highway, its not a big deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts