Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For my first bike purchase I have come across two options that I am having a hard time choosing between.

My first option is buying a new, still crated, 2014 Honda Interstate 1300cc, with 5 year extended warranty for around $7000.

Option number 2 is buying a used 2004 HD Softail FXSTD with Vance and Hines pipes, 18,000 miles, no warranty, garage kept, for around $3500.

The major points that has made this choice hard for me are, 1) I like having the safety of a warranty behind my first bike, 2)the Honda is 1000 miles away and I will be flying to get it and driving it back while the HD is 200 miles away.

I will be using this bike for commuting to and from work (approx. 30 miles one way), riding around Arkansas, and occasional I will be riding 2up with my wife.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
Edit: posted this at the same time you replied about it being your uncles. So, never mind. :)

Yes, the HD in this case is priced at 50% what is should be. If this is being sold by someone you don't know, I'd be very suspicious. It's a common scam, especially on Craigslist.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
It's that cheap because my Uncle is selling it to me for a "family" price.
I see. That changes things a bit then. Both companies make very reliable products.

The Honda is 1,000 miles away, but how far will you have to go to get warranty work done? Is there a dealer that's closer that will honor the warranty without giving you a ration of $hit about it?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Seems like the HD is the better bet IMO.

I can't remember the last time I actually needed a warranty.

Reactions: Mortician

·
Registered
199 Posts
A warranty on a Honda is about useless. I don't care if it is 10 year/50,000 mile. They just don't break that much. The dealer issue is a big one as well. Finding a dealer that will take that warranty is difficult. I love my Hondas, but I would tell you to go HD in this case. Plus, it is cheaper. You can go more places with that $3,500 extra, or outfit it EXACTLY how you want it, or just about rebuild it. Also, a 1000 mile ride on a BRAND NEW bike it a heck of a break-in if it hasn't had the break-in work done to it before you get it, or a heck of a learning curve if this is your very first bike. And some states don't do temp tags, or anything like that, so you have to worry about your legality and getting the title transferred before you start your trip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You don't mention your experience level here, I know it is your first bike, but have you ridden (maybe the uncle's Harley?) enough to really feel comfortable with a 1000 mile ride right off the bat? Good luck either way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wouldn't ever recommend a new bike for a first bike. A known used bike from a family member at a great price wins hands down IMO.

That said, IMO these bikes are both too big for a brand new rider with zero experience.

C

·
0 Posts
I am a Honda fan, never had problems of any sort with those I have had. But, the way I read it, I would recommend the Harley hands down. Price is right, you have good dealer representation no matter where you go. Get a few miles and experience, in a couple of years if you want more bike, go for it.

·
7,902 Posts
The warranty on the Honda Interstate will be honored at ANY Honda dealership. It doesn't matter where it is purchased:wink2:

The Interstate is an odd looking attempt at a 'factory custom' bike but at that price, with a strong 1300cc (80 CI) single crankpin engine, fuel injection, shaft drive and hard bags and a windshield, it is quite a bargain:grin: They are also totally reliable. A 1,000 mile break in ride is nothing to the Honda as long as you are comfortable doing so.:smile:

The Softail is a REAL bargain and doesn't have the 'Forced custom' look of the Interstate and 18,000 miles in really nothing on the newer Harleys. You will automatically be a member of the HD Fraternity, just by riding the Bike, which gives you unlimited access to thousands of Harley Hotties:grin:

So as not to upset your Uncle, just buy the Harley, put it in your garage and then Fly in and get the Interstate also and enjoy your ride home:wink2:

PS: That Interstate will smoke the Harley:crying:

Sam:nerd:

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Yeah, but you'll still be able to get parts for the Harley 50 years from now. The Honda will have been melted down and turned into a Prius or something long before then.

·
7,902 Posts
True EYE!:grin:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts