Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!,

I'm new to the forum and I'm thinking about buying an 87 Suzuki VS 700 Bobber that is really clean. Sounds awesome and the only problem the owner told me it has is leaking seals around the forks. I saw on youtube there's a tool out that you can clean out your seals with. The owner claims it's not much that he just wipes it off with a rag.

So the motor was rebuilt before he got it by the previous owner and he doesn't ride it much. It won't let me post a picture yet cause I don't have the required amount of posts. He wants $2900 but he said he's negotiable.

Any thoughts?? It also has the stock parts as well such as shocks, fenders, exhaust, etc....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've added the pics to an album if you guys/gals wanna check it out. Let me know what you think! I've owned a Yamaha Warrior before so this bike will be a little smaller. I like the look of it though. And from what I was told those are the factory handlebars, theyre just turned upside down???

·
Registered
562 Posts
2900 is way over what I would pay for that kind of motorcycle. fork seals leaking also I would not go more than 1000$

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I looked up the value of my '05 VS800 on KBB and NADA, and, at best, it's worth about $2400 on private sale. If you have tools and a place to work, it isn't hard to do the fork seals, but, yeah, $2900 is WAY north of the mark.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked up the value of my '05 VS800 on KBB and NADA, and, at best, it's worth about $2400 on private sale. If you have tools and a place to work, it isn't hard to do the fork seals, but, yeah, $2900 is WAY north of the mark.
Did y'all look at the pics under the album? It's in great shape looks brand new and has custom pipes. It's been reworked in other words

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what would scare me.
Yeah I get what y'all are saying I guess one side of me is only looking to spend 2-3 k on a bobber and from what I've found locally it's the Best Buy ive seen. He's sent me videos of it running and him riding it but of course I'll go check it out and ride it. He told me to come ride it and see for myself and told me it's solid. I'll keep y'all posted

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Did y'all look at the pics under the album? It's in great shape looks brand new and has custom pipes. It's been reworked in other words
Where is the album? I can't find one.

In any case, bobbing a bike usually doesn't increase its value - often, just the opposite - unless it is a major custom job, in which case the value is whatever you're willing to pay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where is the album? I can't find one.

In any case, bobbing a bike usually doesn't increase its value - often, just the opposite - unless it is a major custom job, in which case the value is whatever you're willing to pay.
Click on my profile the album is on the right side of the page .......it won't let me add pictures to the thread yet cause I haven't hit 15 post

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Click on my profile the album is on the right side of the page .......it won't let me add pictures to the thread yet cause I haven't hit 15 post
OK, wasn't there when I looked before, but now it is. Must have been a time delay in the site.

Nice looking 'bob, but IMO, there's not $1000 worth of 'upgrades'. Your call, though.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I take it that this is your first motorcycle? You may want to think about keeping the parts on the bike that make it safe to ride, like the front fender or at least a front fender elimination [brace] kit. The function of the fender, besides keeping the mud and stones from hitting the rider, is to brace the forks making the bike easier to keep stable in the turns. I would imagine that it could also be the reason that your fork seals are wearing and leaking. I would not want to lean that bike over in a corner and expect it to track as safely as a factory bike to get me out of a tight situation. Crashing and road rash are not on my fun list of things to do.

Custom or non stock exhausts are often just put on motorcycles without consideration of how they will affect the performance of the bike. when the factory builds these machines, back pressure created from the exhaust is tuned to carburetor performance. Whether the guy who put the bike together was enough of an expert to know how to compensate the carbs for the new exhaust knows this is an open question.

There is more to buying a bike than how cool it looks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Exactly!

I am WAY less concerned about how my bike looks, as opposed to how to how safe it is, how it handles, how comfortable it is, how durable, how dependable.

There are many bikes that are designed to LOOK AT, rather than to actually RIDE. Choppers with super high handle bars and excessively elongated forks come quickly to mind...

There is more to buying a bike than how cool it looks.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
I'll second the thought that $2900 is WAY too expensive for a 1987 model. A few years ago I purchased a 1998 Suzuki Marauder (basically the same engine with a few minor tweaks and a chain final drive) for $1700.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have to admit, the builder really put in the w0w factor, and it looks good. :thumbsup:
Is my opinion that those bikes generally have either had poor maintenance, or they were laid down.
They were not worth much to sell, made a cheap project for someone to tinker with in their spare time.
It is more simple/cheaper to cut off a bunch of parts and not replace them, simply call it a bobber instead, or there is the infamous cafe racer that is the same way,

Another area that I so not like on this bike, the tail section of the frame is modified, can also cause safety issues if braces have been removed, which often everything is removed to give it a clean look.
They replaced the rear shocks with rigid struts, they could have installed some after market shorty shocks to lower it and make it look cool, add better handling, instead,
To avoid that added expense, they just eliminated them.

Now you got to wonder about the paint, they are using the cheapest way out to freshen this bike up already. It may have had missing and bent tin like the front fender.
Instead of replacing they just left it off.
My point is the quality of the paint they used. Is this a 20 footer or a 2 footer?
This term refers to how many feet away you have to be, for it to still look good.
This could very easily be a paint job from a $2 spray can. I myself can get a real good job from a spray can, but generally with the best surface prep, it only last a couple years before is trashed.
You just cant apply it thick enough, for it to hold up against daily driver dings.

Yes the bike looks nice and is fun to look at, is it worth the money he asking I say no.
I could buy twice the bike and good looking for $3k.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Having a rebuilt engine would be a red flag to me. What one person's version of a rebuilt engine is usually differs from others. Some do a top end rebuild, and call it a rebuilt engine. Problem is, if you just do the top end, the bottom end usually blows due to the top end being stronger. Some will change the seals and gaskets and call it rebuilt. To me, an engine that is considered rebuilt should be top end, bottom end, and all the gaskets and seals. I'd atleast want to know what kind of rebuild it was before sinking this kind of money into it. You may find it cheaper to buy a bike and bobbing it out yourself.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Having a rebuilt engine would be a red flag to me.
I agree totally with everything you said.
Technically that motor would not need a rebuild if properly maintained.
But yeah, they may have replaced the seals and gaskets and passing it off as a rebuild.
Get receipts!

And what about the leaky fork seals?
This is not a terribly difficult job to complete, but again they are taking the cheap/easy way out, and asking a premium price for the bike.

Here is a 650 savage bobber, is a single cyl, they sound good and have lots of torque, bet it pulls awesome and fun to ride.
Is a nice looking bike and advertised today, but I have seen this bike for sale for over a year for $3k, no one will buy it.
Not trying to beat up the sellers work, but more interested in the buyer being informed.

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=175162

1 - 19 of 19 Posts