Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Long story short, a gentleman left this motorcycle about 7 months ago at my next door neighbors house, and never returned to pick it up. The next door neighbor contacted the guy every day to come pick it up, but never did, so the homeowner told me to move it to the street due to a demolition project next door which would have hurt the motorcycle, which I did, then got to thinking that I want to fix it up, but I won't have a title. I need to find out exactly what I need for an abandoned title? Any help here please?

I think it is a 1978, and there are some aftermarket mods done it, I know the handlebars are newer. Although it won't turn over, I think the motor is ok. The electrical is shot, and needs all new electrical. I would like to strip it down, and powder coat the frame a matte black, and get it running, then change the brakes and add a new seat and lights, and change the handlebars.

Thanks!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
See if you can get the guy number from your neighbor. Call him and get the title

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I would secure a title before putting any money into it. There are also legal issues with taking control of property without the owner's permission.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Unfortunately our legal system seems to be designed for the lazy scum that abandoned the bike. Until I had the title in hand I wouldn't touch it. That kind of person knows the system and how to use it. After you get it running and looking good it will suddenly become stolen. Get the name and address from the neighbor and go there and get the title. Or forget the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Unfortunately our legal system seems to be designed for the lazy scum that abandoned the bike. Until I had the title in hand I wouldn't touch it. That kind of person knows the system and how to use it. After you get it running and looking good it will suddenly become stolen. Get the name and address from the neighbor and go there and get the title. Or forget the whole thing.
^^^^^+1
Yep, once you got papers on the bike...go for it!
Just for conversation sake, 1978 what?
Hopefully you will get your 15 posts in, then post some pictures, members can help more if they know what bike you have.
Good Luck!!
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try going to your states motor vehicle website and find out about abandoned vehicle titles. Maybe you can get it that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts