Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes light helmets that don't cost too much, I'm trying to stay below $200.
On my 200 mile ride Tuesday I found my current helmet somewhat incompatibly with my Cochlear hearing device and too heavy for my neck. So I'm buying my third helmet this year and the cost is starting to cut into my motorcycle budget so I would like to get it right this time.:p

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Who makes light helmets that don't cost too much, I'm trying to stay below $200.
I have a ZR 3/4 helmet. $100. Even has the little flip-down "portable windshield" as I call it.

I'm not sure how it may affect your implant, but I can say that my helmet is perfectly comfortable, and light. I can't imagine you having any problems.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
HJC and Fulmer are about as cheap as I'd go. But weight wise you just have to try them on. Which you'll need to do anyway to see if the implant will be bothered.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,296 Posts
I bought an HJC 3/4 last summer. It is relatively light compared to my 4 year old HJC full face.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
I actually like Fulmer. Cheap enough that you can afford to buy a new one every 5 or so years like they suggest. Plus I've proved they work.:(

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah! I screwed up when I bought the last helmet by getting it before the surgery, and guessing that I needed a larger size to allow for the implant. As it turns out, maybe not so much i, I just need a better fit. I've looked at the local bike shops but they seem to have somewhat limited stock so I suppose I better head to a big store downtown Seattle.
The problem I'm having is that the sending unit that is attached to my head with an implanted magnet is moved out of location by the helmet moving on my head in the wind and I loose connection. Now that I can hear I want to hear everything and I now don't feel comfortable if I can't hear, even if it's the un-natural sounding pocka pocka that the implant thinks my bike should sound like.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I use a 3/4...works for me...really can't hear...so it really doesn't mak any ..motorcycles to me...over time I damaged mry own hearing...loud music...shotguns..motorcycles...etcbut can't. hear a phone and I'm glad..ride on and good luck....

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,296 Posts
Muggs, next time you see the doc ask if he will add a sub wolfer.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Hey Muggs, do you have a windshield? If you do you might try a half helmet. I got one recently and it's great being able to just pull it down. No moving it around to get the best feel. And I'm surprised at how stable it is. What wind I do get is coming from under my fairing up past and over the tank to my head and yet it stays planted. Better than my modular and it's by the same manufacture. Might be worth a try. And if your local shops are like mine, they can get anything you want to try in the brand they carry. Mine told me if nothing worked out he could send in back no charge. Turned out to work great in my case but he didn't do that just for me. Standard practice for him

·
Registered
804 Posts
What do you classify as "heavy?"

I bought an HJC model IS-17 that weighs roughly 4.8 lbs. It has a built-in sun visor. I'd imagine the model without the visor would weigh a fraction less.

Paid $180 for it at a local shop. Similar prices on Amazon.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hog! I got a windsheild and like half helmets but they don't work because the bottom of the helmet cushion band runs right through the equipment held to my head with a magnet.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you are saying that you have a good helmet that just isn't the right fit, you may be able to adjust it with different liners and/or cheek pads.

Both my Shoei and my GMAX are size-configurable with both liners and cheek pads. I have a Large liner for my GMAX when I'm wearing it - when we go two up it becomes my wife's helmet after we switch the liner out to Medium.

Yeah! I screwed up when I bought the last helmet by getting it before the surgery, and guessing that I needed a larger size to allow for the implant. As it turns out, maybe not so much i, I just need a better fit.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its mostly a mater of weight, I have neck problems. I looked at some Helmets today but was short on time, I have a big head and the big helmets weigh more and blow around in the wind worse. I started at size large and the last one I tried was 2X and was tight. I might end up with a half helmet of some sort, this is starting to look harder than it did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts