Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys. I have always like Harley's as a youngster. Now that I'm out on my own, I want to purchase one. I was doing some research and I found that Harley is bashed hard on the net (mostly by those who don't own one)....They are pricey. They may have foreign parts (that's life these days). The bikes themselves seem to embody an attitude unparalleled by an other in it's class (based on it's archaic design and lacking technology). I have friends that are partial to street bikes, and that's not me. I never bashed them for not getting a cruiser...so wth...are they jealous that I can afford one??? ...or does the crowd that likes street bikes always bash cruisers, and reverse? Obv each person has particular tastes and I TOTALLY respect that (like I don't want to drag my knees around corners or go 150+ down the highway). I don't want to argue over whether or not I'm buying into the market or am a dumb buyer (refer back to the last sentence). I have heard mixed stories on the Evo engine reliability factor. The engines don't leak anymore. The "patent" Harley sound is in fact an intentional "engine knocking" and the often break down. On the other hand, I heard that they are easy to repair, and can go for miles with proper maintenance. Any and all feed back is welcome.

Dumpsterdom89

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
The ONLY Harley "bashing" I do is poking fun in the name of fun with various member here. To be honest, they do make some really nice bikes. And all the real haters out there, I suspect they just want to hate. Heck there are a couple Harleys a really would like to have. (XR-1200X and Nightrod)

Yeah, some of their design aspects may be considered more "old school", but HD has refined it to a point where it is just as reliable as anything else out there.

My point is, if you like HD bikes, get one.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The bashing comes from people who don't own or have never ridden one, or from people who claim to have owned one in the past and then "upgraded" to something else. The latter group proclaim that they are leaky, underpowered, poor-handling, and unreliable. Well, newsflash, back in the old days, all bikes were leaky, underpowered, poor-handling or unreliable, compared to what we have today. A Vincent Black Shadow, the superbike of the 50s, had 55 horsepower. The same folks who worship Vincents would scorn a modern motorcycle that only produced 55 horsepower.

You can get a lot of good advice on motorcycle forums, but you have to sort it out from a lot of hearsay and misinformation.

Try a bunch of bikes and choose the one you like. I've had three Hondas, a Yamaha, a Norton, a BSA, a Ducati, and a Moto Guzzi, and the Harley I ride now is the best yet. :71baldboy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS!. I have been reading plenty of threads on related topics. I obviously plan on learning to perform preventative maintenance on my own (with some help from my uncle at first). Hopefully this will cut down on larger problems that people who mistreated their Harleys have experienced. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hey there guys. I have always like Harley's as a youngster. Now that I'm out on my own, I want to purchase one. I was doing some research and I found that Harley is bashed hard on the net (mostly by those who don't own one)....They are pricey. They may have foreign parts (that's life these days). The bikes themselves seem to embody an attitude unparalleled by an other in it's class (based on it's archaic design and lacking technology). I have friends that are partial to street bikes, and that's not me. I never bashed them for not getting a cruiser...so wth...are they jealous that I can afford one??? ...or does the crowd that likes street bikes always bash cruisers, and reverse? Obv each person has particular tastes and I TOTALLY respect that (like I don't want to drag my knees around corners or go 150+ down the highway). I don't want to argue over whether or not I'm buying into the market or am a dumb buyer (refer back to the last sentence). I have heard mixed stories on the Evo engine reliability factor. The engines don't leak anymore. The "patent" Harley sound is in fact an intentional "engine knocking" and the often break down. On the other hand, I heard that they are easy to repair, and can go for miles with proper maintenance. Any and all feed back is welcome.

Dumpsterdom89
What Animedevildog said!!! Buy what you want!!, everyone that owns a bike usually has strong loyalty towards that brand,:wink: I have been riding 40 years, Yep I am OLD!, have owned Harley's, Honda's ,Kawasakis etc. If I could afford it.. I would own a new Harley right now, Probably a new "Ultra" Glide:icon_cool: ,however I Love my '75 Kawasaki Z 900!!:thumbsup: What it seems to me that most people forget when they decide to buy a bike is very simply this...."What kind of riding do I want to do"?! Is it chasing the curves? Cruising / Touring? Off road/sport touring?
That should ultimately help a person decide what type / brand bike they buy, all are good.... some brands / styles are for "Unique" riding style. IMHO
Regards & Good Luck!!

TZ ED

·
Registered
782 Posts
Good point TZ. My XR1200 is better at high speeds on the highway than my old Guzzi Nevada, but the Nevada was easier to maneuver on tight twisty roads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the support-and I agree. I can't see myself on anything but a Harley...I'll have to judge it's quality based on my personal experience with it and that's the only way I'll know for sure. TZ, I want a smooth stable bike, with presence and reliability. As I mention above, I don't want to break the sound barrier or weave between cars and do crazy stuff. I value this input very much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I'm interested in learning about the v twin motor. Does anyone out there know how to acquire a scrap to tool around on? Would any brand of v-twin be good to wrench for practice?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I love Harley. I personally ride a 48.

But...

I would not hesitate to purchase a Honda, Yamaha, or any of the other major brands. They all make very high quality bikes. Anyone who says any of the majors lack quality has simply not been reading the data that's out there or are simply being A**holes.

If you want a Harley, go for it. One of the advantages of HD ownership is the ubiquitous nature of Harley -- you can't swing a stick without hitting someone who owns one, sells them or fixes them.

And ALL of my non-HD buddies admit that my bike sounds the coolest. :)

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
get whatever bike you are HAPPY with.
We ride motorcycles for freedom.

Almost every kind of bike will take a bashing from some other group of riders.
There is no "real motorcycle" ... though some will claim otherwise.
Harleys are assembled in the USA - I couldn't tell you what percentage of the parts are made here. Some Harleys (just a few designs) had a wobble problem ... check it on the Internet. I doubt that the bike you are looking at would have that problem. Harleys have been a bit infamous for breakdowns and a lack of reliability. Your best bet is to log onto the HD forums and ask owners who already have the same type of Harley that you want - check and see if it has any problems. Some Japanese manufacturers came out with big power cruisers whose engines typically out-power the Harley (I ride one of those machines). But I heard that HD just recently increased the engine size in some of their bikes.

HD makes some very nice looking bikes.
They are not cheap, but you are buying a piece of American history.
On the road I have found HD riders to be cool and helpful.
They nearly always give me the famous Harley "wave", and I always wave back.

cheers,
distantThunder

·
Registered
116 Posts
Almost every kind of bike will take a bashing from some other group of riders.
This is so very true. I used to ride a small 250cc bike and got teased by everyone because it was so small and sounded like a sewing machine. I rode a Honda Shadow and got teased by my Harley friends. I was going to buy a BMW but my wife kept giving me crap saying it was an old man bike. I love to tease my friends who ride sport bikes and they're always giving me crap back. I ride a Harley now and get crap from the metric cruiser guys who say I could have bought a more reliable metric bike for less money. Just ride what you want cause there's always going to be some group who is going to give you crap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts