Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a little late after how many decades but the new lineup looks different. Gotta give HD credit. This video shows some of them. Maybe they will do well with their great marketing. There are hundreds of other sources that have info on them Im sure. But, in the video, I think their livewire at :50, they were looking at ducati's diavel . It looks like they were trying to copy it. The panamerica at 1:30 is something new (finally). That headlight is as ugly as the suzuki m109 though. Looks like ill be sticking to japanese for sport. They might get some sales from the younger crowd now. Now, the one at 1:50 that looks like a bobber, I could see myself on. I know bobbers arent anything new. That just caught my eye.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
I like the proposed lineup myself. Diversification of their motorcycle line will bring more people into the wonderful world of motorcycles:grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
677 Posts
The online response has been amusing to read. For years people have bitched that Harley was making the same old and tired bikes, then when they try something else, people bitch about that too, lol. I for one, am excited to see what they come out with.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
The online response has been amusing to read. For years people have bitched that Harley was making the same old and tired bikes, then when they try something else, people bitch about that too, lol. I for one, am excited to see what they come out with.
Yep. The old timers are rigid as hell. HD will not be able to please them and move ahead. They've tried. The V-Rod could have been in touring bikes by now but they wouldn't have a radiator. But HD didn't help much there either by putting that engine in frame that most didn't like. But if HD wants to move ahead they've got to stop listening to the old timers. All that group wants is a updated pan head. That isn't the future. JMHO:grin:

Reactions: BWB75

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Yep. The old timers are rigid as hell. HD will not be able to please them and move ahead. They've tried. The V-Rod could have been in touring bikes by now but they wouldn't have a radiator. But HD didn't help much there either by putting that engine in frame that most didn't like. But if HD wants to move ahead they've got to stop listening to the old timers. All that group wants is a updated pan head. That isn't the future. JMHO:grin:

I am one of the old farts that has no interest in these newer Bikes but personally think HD is taking the right steps just as Indian is with the FTR1200 another that's not for me but is definitely time to look at drawing the younger riders .. Only time will tell if it's the correct move, but in my opinion it is .. Now if could get an Updated Panhead with an FXR Frame, might cost me money .. :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
The way I see it, the younger crowd that these bikes will attract, will eventually get old too. Then they'll wind up on a bagger like the rest of us. :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think the street fighter looks fantastic. I think that if Harley charges a realistic price for the bike (< $13,000) they can capitalize on an untapped market. That, and I think they need to send an unambiguous message to the dealers that these new bikes have to be treated with the same respect as their more traditional lineup. No more of the "that's not a REAL Harley" mindset, with maybe some quotas put in place to ensure that the dealers are not giving the new models the Buell treatment.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The way I see it, the younger crowd that these bikes will attract, will eventually get old too. Then they'll wind up on a bagger like the rest of us. :)
I don't really think so. The brand doesn't really have much cache amongst people of my generation (millennial) and we tend to like our bikes with a bit more tech. I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect that younger people will move from sporty bikes to touring bikes as they get over, but we're more likely to stick with different interpretations of what a cruiser is. Carbon fiber is to us what chrome is to the boomers. I see a lot of guys growing in to the sport-touring or adventure market as they get older, rather than the cruiser market. Remember that to us, Paul Newman is a dude who sells salad dressing.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't really think so. The brand doesn't really have much cache amongst people of my generation (millennial) and we tend to like our bikes with a bit more tech. I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect that younger people will move from sporty bikes to touring bikes as they get over, but we're more likely to stick with different interpretations of what a cruiser is. Carbon fiber is to us what chrome is to the boomers. I see a lot of guys growing in to the sport-touring or adventure market as they get older, rather than the cruiser market. Remember that to us, Paul Newman is a dude who sells salad dressing.
Yeah, you're entitled to your opinion, and I respect it, but you're surely not the voice of a generation any more than I am. You're also assuming that the cruisers/baggers I speak of won't change at all in the next 20 years... I highly doubt that. For a company like HD dipping a toe in this area, it is only the beginning. The very consumers you speak of will, as has happened time and time again in the past already, dictate what they want using their wallets and the accessory catalogs... and the product offerings will morph as well.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yeah, you're entitled to your opinion, and I respect it, but you're surely not the voice of a generation any more than I am. You're also assuming that the cruisers/baggers I speak of won't change at all in the next 20 years... I highly doubt that. For a company like HD dipping a toe in this area, it is only the beginning. The very consumers you speak of will, as has happened time and time again in the past already, dictate what they want using their wallets and the accessory catalogs... and the product offerings will morph as well.
Certainly. We're both just guessing which direction people are going to go who - at their very oldest - are in their late 30's, so a lot can change by the time they get further along in years. You think they'll buy baggers and that's certainly a possibility; all that we can do is wait to find out. I think that Harley probably studied the markets a bit to come to the conclusion that they need something to appeal to a broader market segment, and I think that's a smart move on their part. The streetfighter is the first Harley I've looked at that makes me think "yup, I could see myself on that".

*Edit. How about the custom? I think the looks are pretty good, but I love the modular build platform. That's pretty smart! I think Harley is moving in a good direction. Keep the bikes they're famous for, and expand their offerings into other segments of the market.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I love these new bikes!

Personally, my favorite is the adventure model. I sure hope they keep the seat height down. One of the best things about HD is that they make a bike for almost everyone, not just for people with 38-inch inseams!

My wife (38) went nuts for the street fighter. I can see it. She loves that sleek, bad-ass sporty look. Probably because she is sleek, bad-ass sporty person! I keep trying to tell her that saddlebags make the bike way more practical, but so far no dice. o_O Seriously, if that thing hits the showrooms soon enough for her to trade in the BMW G310R, it's probably a done deal. Bye bye Euro bikes, hello HD.

The electric bike was a surprise. Turn on your sound for that video. That thing sounds like a jet fighter! I was expecting a Prius on two wheels, but thats not it at all! It looks and sounds absolutely awesome. If that is the future, I'll be riding happy for a long, long time.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Here's my response from one social media account comment section.

Motorcycle Guys: "HD sucks, they never get with the times and only build bikes for old men."

[HD builds youthful, sporty bikes]

Motorcycle Guys: "HD sucks. Look at those idiots building bikes that will not appeal to HD customers."

? You people are ridiculous.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It seems the Livewire arrives in August - 2019. Discussed it with the local HD dealer. To carry it will require dealer investment of well over 100k in special equipment and training/certification on this complex new system. I hope that's pocket change for a lot of dealers but it probably isn't. He also said not every dealer will be invited to get into the Livewire at first. That may be due to supply, or the product may be released first to the highest tier dealerships.

This was all very interesting to learn. Hearing about some of the internal bureaucracy, costs, and management controls also makes the whole project seem more serious and real.

Looking forward to finding out if the thing is affordable and if it can hold enough charge to make some useful range. Hope to see a bunch of electric bikes that sound like jet engines romping around the neighborhood next year!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,120 Posts
Want to see a little about these electric bikes?

Go to GOOGLE and type in:

electric bikes 1/4 mile drag races

Amazing like in 0-60 mph in 0.8 seconds:surprise:

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Want to see a little about these electric bikes?

Go to GOOGLE and type in:

electric bikes 1/4 mile drag races

Amazing like in 0-60 mph in 0.8 seconds:surprise:

Now that's torque. Wrist twisters should love it.:smile_big:

Reactions: Porky
1 - 16 of 16 Posts