Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im New here, 25 live in Detroit have been interested in bikes since i was little, Still jave yet to own one.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The best way to get started is by taking the BRC. I believe the state of Michigan subsidizes the cost of the course for residents, but I could be wrong there. It's a worthwhile introduction to motorcycles and riding safely, regardless.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,495 Posts
Welcome aboard. BRC is the way to find out if you are ready to ride

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I agree with Dods and Critter, take the BRC first. Hopefully you will then know if you really want to ride. It's a great place to start.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum 2s2p. The basic rider course is definitely a good way to get your feet wet. I know how exciting any new activity can be but riding can get expensive very fast if you decide it is not for you after all. It is better to spend small money on the training and get the hands on experiences. That way you might possibly save a ton of money compared to buying a bike and then not riding it.

Dods, I looked up the MI BRC a few days ago. It is only about $25.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Welcome from the hills of East Tennessee!!
I agree with Oldman47! Best way to start is taking the BRC.
Good Luck!
Ed

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Nothing wrong with making a few trips to various motorcycle dealerships of various brands to wet your whistle and get a feel for the kind of riding style you think you might like.

Getting your name on the list of a Basic Riders Course now, for the Spring thru your local Motor Vehicle Department or some online source, to get it done and out of the way, WOULD be wise, as has already been said.

Typically, they use 250cc bikes in these Courses, and will require that you have a Helmet, gloves and shoes that cover your ankles. (They provide the bikes, and sometimes the helmets).

Probably you shouldn't buy a bunch of additional gear until you know what style of riding you want to do (it would look ridiculous to be dressed up like a Power Ranger, and be riding a Harley, if you get my point).

-soupy

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Nothing wrong with making a few trips to various motorcycle dealerships of various brands to wet your whistle and get a feel for the kind of riding style you think you might like.

Getting your name on the list of a Basic Riders Course now, for the Spring thru your local Motor Vehicle Department or some online source, to get it done and out of the way, WOULD be wise, as has already been said.

Typically, they use 250cc bikes in these Courses, and will require that you have a Helmet, gloves and shoes that cover your ankles. (They provide the bikes, and sometimes the helmets).

Probably you shouldn't buy a bunch of additional gear until you know what style of riding you want to do (it would look ridiculous to be dressed up like a Power Ranger, and be riding a Harley, if you get my point).

-soupy

Soupy, we need a pic of a rider dressed as a power ranger in red on a big Harley!! That would be interesting! I bet you could do that!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If Hawkaholic took a test ride on a large twin all he would need would be someone to take the picture. It looks just fine on that canary sport bike of his.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts