Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I bought a 2009 C-50 Suzuki. Prior to that , I had re-built a 1964 Honda Dream. Now when I finished the Dream , I wasn't real interested in riding, (the dream was just a project I wanted to try) but , after riding the 305 around town , I felt like trying something more modern. Turns out I really love this Suzuki ! Still getting used to the power and weight , but a much more satisfying ride than the primitive Honda ! Right now , the Honda is in the living room , Suzuki is getting serviced . I suspect that the only time I will ride the dream is local car shows and cruises. Makes me laugh that if you had asked me a year ago if I was interested in riding again , I would have said "hell no !'. Now I have two bikes ! Would like to post a few pix of them both , but don't know how.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey there Grin
I'm pretty new to this forum myself, and having purchased a bike that's new to me, I couldn't wait to post a pic of it for everyone to see. In the rules and regs page, it say that new members have to wait until they have posted at least 15 posts before they can post links or pictures.
My suggestion... troll the forum for topics that interest you, read them, and offer up your knowledge. It's amazing how fast you will build up your posts. Just make sure not to just post: "LOL", or other single word replies. Put time, effort and research into your posts and I'm sure everyone will appreciate your input.

By the way
Welcome to the forums.

Chris

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,456 Posts
Welcome aboard, looking forward to your 15th post and pictures of your bikes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks !

I appreciate your words of welcome. Can any of you tell me a good source of gaskets/seals etc. for the Suzuki. I need a shift-shaft seal (try saying that 3 times fast)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Motosport is a great site, I get most of my parts for my quad there. There's also their competitor rockymountainatvmc. Between the 2 of them, you shouldn't have an issue. As far as dealers in Oklahoma City... there's:

Oklahoma Honda Suzuki
3400 South Sunnylane Road
Del City

And:

PERFORMANCE CYCLE
1229 W Main Street
Oklahoma City

I hope this isn't considered advertising, because I don't live anywhere near Oklahoma City. If it is, let me know and accept my apologies.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks !

I tried OK Suzuki , and Performance is the shop doing the work ! They told me I could probably get the gasket on- line faster than they could thru their network. As far as 'advertising' , when I ask for help and kind people such as yourself offer opinions and help , I consider that the best advertising, word of mouth. Thanks for chiming in for me. You were/are a big help to me and I appreciate your efforts.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's awesome, and no worries regarding my efforts. I would suggest motosport then, they have a warehouse in VA, anf their shipping is good enough to get me my orders from there to Alberta Canada (Just above Montana) in a week and a half. So I could only imagine that it was be under a week to get to you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great !

I will contact them , and will be sure to say that I heard about them from this forum ! Thanks , again for taking the time to help a new guy. This is why I love these forums.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
new guy thoughts:

Since getting the c-50 end of last summer , I have put a couple hundred miles on it. Just putting around town, etc. My plan this year is getting used to riding more. My plan is to start with some 50 + mile rides, going longer as I get used to riding , then do some 100+ mile rides. At this point , I am not real excited about carrying a passenger , so thought I may remove the bags and pillion seat , to remove the temptation of taking that cute thing for a ride ! Is this something the rest of you have experienced? As I get more comfortable with the handling/actions of the bike (and me!) maybe I will be more willing to ride double. I am pretty small guy short legs but can stand flat footed on the bike. How do you guys get used to someone on the back? ( I know of two instances of passengers being killed and driver relatively unscathed) I am more than willing to accept that riding is somewhat dangerous , but not yet willing to involve someone else , is this just a lack of experience? Please tell me your thoughts on this. Hopefully , anyone I carry will be close to my size , so the weight thing may not be an issue , I'm pretty sure the bike will handle it.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Two up

Good to have plenty of miles traveled first, to get comfortable with the bike.
I get on first and get the bike steady. If the cute thing can get a leg through with the bike upright, that is good. But if C T needs a leg up, then lean the bike on the side stand and left foot, so that C T can stand on the peg for boarding.
Once CT is settled she can smack you upside the head to let you know she is ready to go. If C T has not been on a bike before, then you need to explain they lean going around corners, and not to fight it.
What C T hangs on to, is between you guys. Practice a few donuts and stops in the parking lot.

Get your motor running, head out on the highway, looking for adventure, or whatever comes my way. Born to be mild, etc.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know !

I think a few months riding alone is the way for me to go. If cute thang wants wind in her hair , we take the Miata !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
true dat !

But , all this being said, I would sure like to take a spin on/in one ! Same for the can-am , doubt I would be a buyer , but still ,,,,,

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
When my wife got her endorsement, I suggested she ride our 440 for the first year, alone. After that, I let her get comfortable before I hopped on behind her, on the 440. Around her third year with her endorsement, we rode two-up on our 750, circling Lake Superior. She handled the bike superbly, in various weather conditions (four days of cold rain, in Canada), with us trading positions every two hours each day. That was in 2009. Today, we ride a 1200 touring machine, still trading places every two hours, riding in various weather, on week-long tours. I even nap on the back, on trips -- I trust her that much, and she trusts me equally.

Your passenger is literally putting her life in your hands. If you scare her with a mistake in handling the bike, it will likely destroy her confidence in your riding ability. I'd suggest waiting until you have at least 3,000 miles of experience solo, before taking on a passenger. I would also suggest ATGATT for both of you, but that's me. YMMV. Cheers!
:coffee:

PS:

I would highly recommend the Ride Like A Pro DVD. Learning how to handle a large, heavy bike, making slow maneuvers, and tight turns, is extremely helpful. They work superbly with a passenger behind you... It's so much better than duck-walking the bike with a passenger aboard. I've used his wet-clutch-slipping/rear-brake-dragging techniques on both a 750, and a 1200, with a passenger on-board. Worth the money, and the time spent practicing...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts