Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the site. Planning on getting an older sport touring bike next spring.

Although I've ridden motorcycles in the past, I've never owned one. I'm going to take the MC safety course to get my MC license.

In the meantime I'll do plenty of reading and research on the specific bikes and gear I'm interested in.

NYH1.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, mang! Which sport touring bike are you planning to get?
Thanks!

I like the Honda Pacific Coast 800, Honda ST1100, Kawasaki Concours ZG1000.

Of the motorcycles I've ridden, I liked the Yamaha FJ1200 the most. However, they're probably more motorcycle then I need at this point.

NYH1.

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
229 Posts
Thanks!

I like the Honda Pacific Coast 800, Honda ST1100, Kawasaki Concours ZG1000.

Of the motorcycles I've ridden, I liked the Yamaha FJ1200 the most. However, they're probably more motorcycle then I need at this point.

NYH1.
That's cool. You should do well on the basic rider's course since you have prior experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's cool. You should do well on the basic rider's course since you have prior experience.
Everyone I talk to about getting my MC license highly recommend that I take the course. My son (18 yo) might take it with me.

NYH1.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The MSF course is a great way to spend time with family. I did it with my spouse and we had a great weekend. There was always plenty to talk about after the class, too. It's fun to share an experience like that.

Plus you get the benefit of knowing that your son got some good training.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum!

The MSF course is a great way to spend time with family. I did it with my spouse and we had a great weekend. There was always plenty to talk about after the class, too. It's fun to share an experience like that.

Plus you get the benefit of knowing that your son got some good training.
Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, we're both basically just starting out. We'll take all the training we can get.

NYH1.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Welcome to the site!!!

I have a couple vintage sport tourers. I daily a stripped down GL1100 and a Suzuki GS 850G.

To answer the question from your other thread, depending on how old you go you start having to deal with multiple carburetors and riding dynamics that have rightfully earned those old machines nicknames like "Widowmaker". And yet at the same time they're stupid fun to ride, practically invincible, and will turn heads absolutely everywhere!

Reactions: NYH1

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the site!!!

I have a couple vintage sport tourers. I daily a stripped down GL1100 and a Suzuki GS 850G.

To answer the question from your other thread, depending on how old you go you start having to deal with multiple carburetors and riding dynamics that have rightfully earned those old machines nicknames like "Widowmaker". And yet at the same time they're stupid fun to ride, practically invincible, and will turn heads absolutely everywhere!
Miss Mercedes, thanks for the welcome!

The bikes I'm interested in are mid '90's to early '00's. I don't want to get anything to new as a first bike. Plus, they're the type of bikes I've always liked.

NYH1.

·
Zip
2,512 Posts
You didn't mention BMW, so I wonder if you rode one and didn't like it. I've been riding my '03 R1150RT for about a year and absolutely love it. Great wind protection, lots of power and excellent handling. Plus good comfort on the long straight roads.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The BMWs from the mid-90s to early 2000s should all have ABS, too, which is great. That and they are absolutely beautiful motorcycles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You didn't mention BMW, so I wonder if you rode one and didn't like it. I've been riding my '03 R1150RT for about a year and absolutely love it. Great wind protection, lots of power and excellent handling. Plus good comfort on the long straight roads.
The BMWs from the mid-90s to early 2000s should all have ABS, too, which is great. That and they are absolutely beautiful motorcycles.
I've seen some sport touring bikes as well as naked type bikes from BMW, Triumph and Ducati for sale. My buddy who has had motorcycles since he was 16/17ish, said those brands are harder to get parts for and I'd probably be better off getting a Japanese bike.

That said, I have no brand loyalty. ABS brakes would be nice. I know the FJ1200's came with ABS, not sure about the others I mentioned.

NYH1.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts