Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here. From MN and own a 1996 Suzuki dr125. To small of an engine for a big (245 lbs.) guy like me. But still fun.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. As you say, your bike may be a little small for you but it is so much easier to learn how to handle a smaller bike. When you start adding a lot of weight it's a little scarier.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
It's really better to start small and work up. That way you might stay with us and not get scared or worse. But...

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Starting out small is the best idea. at your weight, short trips to McDonalds should teach you how to handle your bike...
(fighting off the 210 bulge)

·
Registered
73 Posts
A small engine is not always bad, Light bikes ride so easy. There's a distinct advantage. And the DR is a dual purpose, no? You can ride it on trails! Some of my best younger motorcycle memories are on trails off road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ya it's dual purpose it's a lot of fun to ride would just like to go a little faster. the motor blew up at the end of last summer and i want to put a 250 in it because i do drive it to my friends which is about 40 miles away and would like to be able to go a little faster the speed limit is 60 on the highway going up there but can't get that fast with the 125 but the closest year for a 250 is a 1995 that i can find. i'm hoping that it would fit right in and plug up the same. i haven't really been able to find anything on it and the people in the Suzuki part of this forum haven't been any help. 80 views on my thread and no replies.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Welcome! My experience is that you learn to handle, control, ....a smaller bike a LOT faster than a big one.

There are a lot of guys on big bikes without the skills they need who never use 20% of what their bike is capable of, never lean it over or scrape, basically ride like big chickens. They REALLY need to step back to a smaller bike, and go takes some classes, etc.

But they never do.

I went out and bought a new (used) CBR929 LONG before I was a good enough rider to handle a liter bike. An R6 or CBR600 would have been PLENTY for my skillset. As a result I rode in a lot of unnecessary fear of all that torque. Darned near lost my love of riding!

You'll know when you've hit the limit of what you can do with that 125. Heck, I rode a 250 scooter for 5 YEARS or more before I began really "ripping it up" really laying it over on corners, etc. THEN I was ready for a bike, a REAL bike. But not a liter bike!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome
We have to start on 125s here - it was the law when I started anyway
I believe it is the best way to learn, mistakes are easier remedied with less power and speed - and everyone makes them
Wanting more power, usually best to sell and buy bigger

·
Registered
48 Posts
ya it's dual purpose it's a lot of fun to ride would just like to go a little faster. the motor blew up at the end of last summer and i want to put a 250 in it because i do drive it to my friends which is about 40 miles away and would like to be able to go a little faster the speed limit is 60 on the highway going up there but can't get that fast with the 125 but the closest year for a 250 is a 1995 that i can find. i'm hoping that it would fit right in and plug up the same. i haven't really been able to find anything on it and the people in the Suzuki part of this forum haven't been any help. 80 views on my thread and no replies.
If I remember correctly, a lot of (most of) those views could be Bots, Like Google, Yahoo etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts