Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new motorcyclist. I haven't bought a bike yet. Just did all the research possible. I'm in ohio for the time being I plan on moving soon to the west coast.
I'm 5'7" and 170lbs. And going to be purchasing a Honda CB500F ABS at the end of this riding season. Any other information from mature riders out there will be appreciated. I have a few friends that have been riding for years to help me out. I'm opened to any information.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the welcome. I Appreciate it. Can't wait to get out there and start riding.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. The best thing you can do is take the BRC. Good luck on getting your bike.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Welcome from NM Tom. One of the best things you can do is take the beginners course from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and then apply everything you learn in that course to your daily riding. It sounds to me like you have picked a good bike to start on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Working on getting that course. I'm a navy vet and Harley Davidson is offering the course to military members. Going to get it through them when I have the time. Hopefully it's soon.
That's good to know it'll be a good bike. Seems that the hondas are more about the reliability. I'm glad I got that cleared from just people I knew.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Funny! I am getting the CB500F non ABS on the 15th! Also a new rider, it will be my first bike :)
Where in the west coast are you thinking about? I have family in Ohio, I always wanted to ride up there, especially the covered bridges.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny! I am getting the CB500F non ABS on the 15th! Also a new rider, it will be my first bike :)
Where in the west coast are you thinking about? I have family in Ohio, I always wanted to ride up there, especially the covered bridges.

Im doing the ABS. A really good friend said that it would be good to have said it helped him out in a situation before. it will either be California or somewhere in Washington state. it all depends. As of right now im out in Columbus. I live pretty close in city. no covered bridges where im at.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was going to do the ABS, but they didn't have a bike with ABS at my dealership... maybe not the best choice, and hopefully I won't need ABS, but I don't think it's the end of the world. I agree, it would definitely be nice to have, though. Especially for a new rider.
Where I visit in Ohio is out in Kimbolton, more in the countryside. I don't think I've ever actually been to Columbus besides the airport. I like the little itty bitty towns :) If you ride to any covered bridges, I'd love to see pictures, I really miss it out there :'(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was going to do the ABS, but they didn't have a bike with ABS at my dealership... maybe not the best choice, and hopefully I won't need ABS, but I don't think it's the end of the world. I agree, it would definitely be nice to have, though. Especially for a new rider.
Where I visit in Ohio is out in Kimbolton, more in the countryside. I don't think I've ever actually been to Columbus besides the airport. I like the little itty bitty towns :) If you ride to any covered bridges, I'd love to see pictures, I really miss it out there :'(

Well that kinda sucks they didn't have one with it. but its not the end of the world hopefully you wont need them. the first motorcycle place I went too didn't have and Hondas there. they were just trying to get the sale and sale me the Yamaha r3 and the ninja 300. even a Yamaha fz07 fjo9. I found a different one though that im gonna get it from. to bad they didn't have a 2014 0r 2013though that was a leftover.
no idea where that is. only been in ohio for a short amount of time. I sure will get some pics if I see any. im going on a hike this weekend with a co worker. maybe we will pass some. who knows.

·
Registered
210 Posts
they were just trying to get the sale and sale me the Yamaha r3 and the ninja 300. even a Yamaha fz07 fjo9. I found a different one though that im gonna get it from. to bad they didn't have a 2014 0r 2013though that was a leftover.
Yeah, the first stealership I went to tried to shove an R-spec of all things down my throat that was clearly out of my price range. Then they tried to shove the CBR600RR on me... I think they're trying to kill me. So I went to a local Honda dealership with flat rates and that's where I'm getting my CB500F.
Kimbolton is not too far from Cambridge. It's a really rural area, quite a few farms and not too many houses.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought that as well that they were trying to kill me. But the Yamaha sit real nice. The fz07 felt fantastic. So maybe a future there.
Well alright. I don't know Ohio area. But I'll keep an eye out. For bridges and the country. Rural areas. Haven't done to much exploring.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah some really nice bikes for riders that can handle them.
And good luck in your adventures :) Hope you have lots of fun, Ohio has some really beautiful spots :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agreed.

Of course. Thank you. I'll keep a look out for those nice spots. Haven't seen to many that you spoke of. But you have good times out there as well. Not sure what's there but I'm sure AZ has some good spots as well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts