Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I am excited to get advice, and share experiences with you all. While I am new to this particular forum. I am not new to forums. I have found them to be my "Go To" when needing advice, making connections with whatever activity, or hobby I become interested in. I joke around quite a bit. I know on the forums sometimes it is hard to express tone. When in doubt it is fairly safe to assume I may be joking or teasing.

I am a father of a teenage boy (who know's it all). And a spectacular daughter who happens to significantly effected by Autism. My wife and I, pretty much have a "Working Relationship". We get along. Spending time with my kids, is my favorite activity, off roading, swimming, hiking, shooting, ATV riding are close second to all that.

While I have not been able to do it for awhile. Riding is one of my favored activities. My daughter loves to ride in the car or UTV. I would desperately like to be able to share open air riding with her. It is not unusual for us to take several rides in a day. The UTV is her preferred. In the truck it's like having a Labrador for a daughter, she hangs her head out the window and smiles the entire time. The reason for joining this forum is to find the best/most reasonable, way to share something I love, and let it become something WE love.

I am 6-1 200 lbs. My daughter is 5=7" and 113lbs. She is thirteen, non-verbal, and needs supervision 100% of the time 24/7/365. We live in Keokuk Iowa

I look forward to being a member, and meeting some of you. I tried to be detailed on my intro because I know at times some of that information can be helpful understanding future post's. I love "Good" witty sarcasm. If you have an opportunity don't hesitate I am not easily offended.

Thanks in Advance
Bryan

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Well, I was going to say 'welcome from next door', but I see you're at the far eastern edge of Iowa. Kudos to you for 'being there' for your daughter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keokuk is like a nipple. It sticks out in the Mississippi, Right where IL and MO meet. Gotta ride with glasses in IL, Helmet in MO, can be naked in IA.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Hopefully you will find a way to enjoy riding with your daughter. A sidecar similar to what DianneB has comes to mind.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I think the sidecar option is good. I know my daughter loved riding behind me though. Now she didn't/doesn't have autism though so not sure if I would change for that reason or not.

I admit I just don't know that much about it except it appears to have degrees as to how bad. Sounds like yours is in the sever area though to me.

When I rode with mine I liked being able to touch her and feel just where she was so I could stop if it felt like she was getting too far to one side. She was fairly young then so I would think it would be about the same with yours at her age.

I think if I had a sidecar I would want a seat belt because I couldn't keep my hand on her but the whole seating position is more car like so it might not be needed.

My hat is off to you though for dealing with something some people run from. Leaving their kids institutionalized. I commend you for your courage. I wish more were like that. The best of luck in this new adventure. And.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts