Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get my first bike. I'm 5'4" and 125 lbs. I have taken both the MSF BRC (on a 250 V-star ) and CMSP MTC (on a HD Street 500).

I'm currently looking at 2 different used HD Sportsters. The first is a 2016 883 Superlow with a little over 7k miles on it. The second is a 2013 Iron 883 with about 5k on it. They both are around the same price. Any advice on which is a better choice? Any advice is welcome and appreciated!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Fit is very important on a motorcycle, so you may want to go sit on them to see if one works better than the other for you. Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, I would recommend trying them both out. Also ask for their maintenance history. :thumbsup: And welcome to the forum! Br, another female rider ;)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Don't know if you have tried other models but you might want to. Fit is REALLY important for an mc.

I have been at this for many decades and tried a Sportster a few years ago. The Sportster "sits too high" for my taste and I ended up on a Dyna. I felt like I was sitting on top of the Sportster and down into the Dyna, which I very much prefer.

Welcome to the addiction!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

A late model Sportster is an excellent choice, being affordable, nimble, completely reliable with excellent Dealer support if ever needed. They get great fuel mileage and maintenance is very easy since everything is out in the open.

There are HUNDREDS of accessories for the line that has been produced continuously since 1957.

My last one was a 2005 883R, with a Screaming Eagle stage 1 kit, a 4.5 gallon HD fuel tank, progressive rear shocks and an engine guard to mount highway pegs on.

I would suggest you choose the one you feel best on and secondly, get the one with the largest gas capacity.

Be careful and have fun.

Sam:grin:

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
If the Sporty fits you well, go for it. an 883 can be goosed up to a 1200 somewhere down your road, if you find you
want more power. I have a 91 1200 and it is a bloody blast to ride, I would not sell it, that is for damn sure. Sporty's
are easy to maintain, keep that air cleaner clean will be a big help. changing oil is easy. BUT get the ride you feel the
best on. You want to feel like you can ride for hours on whatever bike you buy. Ergonomics is important. If your stature
is such that those long legs get cramped, forward controls can really change that. Best wishes on whatever bike you get.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well done for taking the proper training courses! That sets a positive example for others, as well as making you a much safer and more knowledgeable rider!

Piling on with everyone else, here, I guess. Comfort on the motorcycle is the number one thing. You'll know when you sit on the bike if it is a good fit. If it's a close call, try a test ride if you feel comfortable doing that.

I am 5'7" and, back in 2008, weighed about 140. The Sportster 1200 Low fit perfectly. A windshield and saddlebags (Color matched hard bags! So cool!) made the bike useful for everything I wanted to do, including a freeway commute and two-up interstate travel. It had 35,000 happy miles on it before an overseas move destroyed it. Everything Porky said is true.

Have you considered the 1200 SuperLow? The mid-mounted controls and neutral handlebar position provide a very comfortable position for those of us who do not suffer from hyper-talliosis.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Hello again bball25,

I too am glad you took a training course for riding, do your self a BIG favor and don't let it
be your last bit of rider education. Dave Hough's books give a wealth of info in 'Proficient
motorcycling' and 'Mastering the ride'.

There is good info on the web too, MC rider and Ride like a pro w motorcycle cop Jerry Palladino.
knowing how to do those tite S turns , braking and swerving will save your bacon someday and
knowing how to do a U-turn will be quite helpful too.

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
I don't think she's gonna read that, Ray.
It appears that she hasn't been back here since her original
post almost two months ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts