Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Honda cbr 600. when I bought it the exhaust pipe was cut so it ends right under my right foot. at first I thought it was cool because it was loud. but now I'm tired of using earplugs and not being able to hear. what would be a good exhaust to get and how much should I spend. I'm new to the motorcycle world so I don't know a whole lot.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
You might be able to find a decent stock exhaust cheaply, since they are usually still good when people change out their exhausts. You can sometimes get them at a dealership as take-offs.

There are a lot of aftermarket exhaust systems available, priced according to whatever you want to spend on them. Determine your budget first then shop around.

Changing your exhaust system will effect the fuel mixture. If your bike is running correctly with an open pipe, my guess is that the fuel system has been altered to suit. If you change back to a muffler, the fuel will have to be adjusted as well If it's running like crap, that might be the reason.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
To add to Dodsfall's point.........when you finally choose what exhaust you might like to change over to, see if you can find out if they recommend a fuel/ignition compensation kit to balance out your bikes performance due to the change. They shouldn't cost much, and are worth every dime if it keeps your bike running properly.

-Soupy

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I have heard great things about Yoshimura (sp?) pipes for sport bikes. My bike has a Delkevic slip-on, but my bike is a twin so l can't say if they make them for your bike. It was already on there when l bought the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are there brands to stay away from or ones that are better then others? Also is it that the more money I spend the better or is less expensive just as good?

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Cobra is a popular brand, but..........I have to say that their Cobra Drag pipes (for example) get too much attention from Law Enforcement around here.

So.......if you are into "loud" pipes, bear in mind the "get a ticket" factor.

-Soupy

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
When l was looking at sport bikes all last Summer, l have to say that it was hard to find one that did not have an aftermarket pipe on it. I was actually looking for a stock piped bike because my girlfriend has a rare medical condition and loud noise triggers a lot of pain for her.

The most common pipe by far was Yoshimura. There are several others, like the Delkevic, the Cobra as Soupy suggested, one called Brothers l think. What l would do if you are looking for a specific sound is to go to youtube and start searching for different pipes...l think you will find a hundred different pipes to listen to. Find a few you like and start looking into how easy they are to get, install, etc. When you start looking into things it is amazing how things fall into place for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay thank you. now dodsfall and soupy mention that if and when I do get a new one I have to re tune my bike. does that need to be done on all bikes, or does it make a difference if my bike is carbureted and not fuel injected?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Anytime you change the exhaust you should at least have someone competent as in a mechanic see if the fuel/air mixture is correct for best operation of the engine. If you don't power, gas mileage and longevity of engine parts can be affected. If it is running too lean pistons and other internal parts can be damaged from heat, if it is running too rich gas mileage is going to go down as well as the engine running like crap, maybe stalling because of too much fuel.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I had a Two Brothers pipe on my ninja and I really loved the sound of it not too loud but just right in the higher rpm's made that bike sing like an opera star

·
lost
1,106 Posts
If it is carbureted it'll need the jets looked at and the jet needle may need to be moved. Best left to someone who's got some experience. If it is fuel injected the fuel mapping will probably need some work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts