Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all, I recently posted on here about my 81 CB900C. Good news is she finally runs and other than a minor intake leak at the boot there seems to be no issues! Now, this being my first motorcycle and all I am just wondering if I should purchase a new exhaust system for it to make it louder, or for now maybe just take the baffles out? Any recommendations on a nice exhaust are definitely welcome!

·
Nightfly
4,598 Posts
Most upgrade their exhaust for an increase in power. I wouldn't waste time with the baffles. Find a nice 4 into 1 exhaust, that should give you what you want. Don't forget, you'll probably have to rejet the carbs to take advantage of the exhaust. Vance & Hines are just one of the many I found in a quick search. About 250.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
If you just want to make it loud, take the baffles out. But you may have to rejet the carbs as removing the baffles also removes the backpressure.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
One of the easiest things to do with a bike, especially a Honda, is make more noise, and less power. Removing the baffles will achieve that. A good set of pipes, 4 into 1 as suggested, can increase the volume a bit, and make a bit more power. Some jetting changes might be required.

I run a 79 XS1100 Yamaha. This bike runs well with some brands of 4 into 1, but sounds like it wants to blow up with other brands.
So do some research and find out what pipes work best for your bike.

UK

·
Nightfly
4,598 Posts
One of the easiest things to do with a bike, especially a Honda, is make more noise, and less power. Removing the baffles will achieve that. A good set of pipes, 4 into 1 as suggested, can increase the volume a bit, and make a bit more power. Some jetting changes might be required.

I run a 79 XS1100 Yamaha. This bike runs well with some brands of 4 into 1, but sounds like it wants to blow up with other brands.
So do some research and find out what pipes work best for your bike.

UK
Could not agree more UK.

·
Nightfly
4,598 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Seat of the pants direct comparison. It makes much more power at top end and the sound tone makes it much easier to tune than with my V&H. This is with the full baffle set in place. At 6,500 RPM at wide opened throttle It pleasantly kicks you in the ass. :grin: Never happened with the Vance & Hines. We have a world record holder drag bike racer down here. He looked it over at his shop and told me it was running as good as it could with factory carburetors. He had a GS1000 back in the day. I'll take his word for it.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
OV mentions stainless steel pipes.
If you intend to keep your bike, there will come a time when the pipe supply dwindles. SS pipes should last longer.
Long term strategy may involve building your own pipes, and or having some spare sets.

I am keeping a set of Jardine pipes for a pattern.
Another thought. Some pipes may interfere with removing the oil filter.

UK

·
Visionary
5,245 Posts
Most of the time just taking out the baffles makes an annoying loud racket and costs power. A well designed exhaust system can sound really good and add power, but costs money.
Choose wisely.

Personally I hate noise, I know I'm in the minority with riders but my bikes are quiet and I like it that way. If I want to make noise I use the horn.

·
Nightfly
4,598 Posts
OV mentions stainless steel pipes.
If you intend to keep your bike, there will come a time when the pipe supply dwindles. SS pipes should last longer.
Long term strategy may involve building your own pipes, and or having some spare sets.

I am keeping a set of Jardine pipes for a pattern.
Another thought. Some pipes may interfere with removing the oil filter.

UK
Excellent point UK. Many years ago when I had an 1100 Suzuki L model I put a set of pipes on it. Not sure but I believe they were Yoshimura. I was too dumb at the time to realize I couldn't get the oil filter off without unbolting the pipes. A real pain in the butt.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If one can judge by the set of pipes I bought for my bike, Delkevic designs each set with that in mind. It's not exactly a walk in the park, but my Vance an Hines wasn't either. I did not have to remove either set of pipes to get at the oil filter. After a few times you get the hang of it even if you wish you had a third hand at times. :plain:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome! Thanks for all the replies guys, it’s really helping me out and making me look forward to working on my motorcycle! I’ll definitely look into some SS pipes as I would like them to last longer since I plan on doing a good amount of tear down/ rebuild over this upcoming winter! I now have what seems to be a relay issue since my right turn signal doesn’t work front or back but the left does now. I’ll make a post about that if I can’t figure it out! Again, thanks a lot!!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
Check the bulbs first, a burned out bulb can cause that issue

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check the bulbs first, a burned out bulb can cause that issue
Thanks for the tip! The previous owner installed an LED strip into the frame so I think I may have to just swap it out if that’s the case. There’s no separate bulb in there for turn signals since it’s integrated into the strip. It doesn’t even make the tick noise you normally hear but just on the right side.

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
Most of the time just taking out the baffles makes an annoying loud racket and costs power. A well designed exhaust system can sound really good and add power, but costs money.
Choose wisely.

Personally I hate noise, I know I'm in the minority with riders but my bikes are quiet and I like it that way. If I want to make noise I use the horn.
I'm with Mike. Just leave the baffles in and keep it quiet instead of pissing
off everyone around you.
Why do you want it louder?
Oh! I know!
"Look at me! Look at MEEE!"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts