Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not an ad for a particular brand or boot, but I took advantage of a sale on Revzilla and bought a pair of Alpinstars SMX-1R Vented Boots and think that these will be my everyday boots for the next few riding seasons. Unlike some that seem made for small European feet, these boots come a bit large. I wear an 11 shoe, and ordered the 10.5 size since there is no 11, and they fit perfectly. Very nicely made, easy access with a side zipper and velcro flap, and according to the reviews on Revzilla, let a lot of airflow cool the feet in summer. I won't say how many boots I have bought in the last decade or so, and most of them have disappointed me. Usually I feel like a boot needs to be broken in to feel comfortable, but these felt good right out of the box. Worth the $145 that was the sale price.

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Alpinstars SMX-1R Vented Boots
but these felt good right out of the box.
It would appear like there is zero leather in them which would explain why there was zero break-in. Leather does require that you break them(boots or shoes) in some or a lot depending on the thickness of the leather. The thinner the less break-in required.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These boots certainly feel sturdy and like they will give my foot and ankle good protection in the event of a crash, and yet according to some reviews, will not be excessively hot in the summer. Up until now I have been wearing some Icon shortie shoe/boots but they are even less substantial than the new ones, and are getting pretty worn. I only wear high boots when the weather is much cooler and I don't want or need any airflow on my feet.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
I was very surprised with my perforated(holely) boots. Those look like they might breathe even better than mine in leather. I think you will really like them vito.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just picked up this pair of size 10.5 Ariat boots. Rubber sole but not a lug style. Normally go for about $200 new but got these for $60. Great fit for ankle protection but are not armored.

These will be worn with stiff pre-WWII leather Army leggings as seen here. Greatl lower leg protection under jeans or over breeches.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,486 Posts
Where did you find those leggings? You aren't old enough to have them issued to you! :)

I was issued canvas ones when I joined the Navy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Where did you find those leggings? You aren't old enough to have them issued to you! :)

I was issued canvas ones when I joined the Navy
Served 6years in the U.S. Coast Guard (1964). I am a collector of WW1 and mid-WWI/WWII militaria and especially pre WW2 cavalry uniforms, field equip and gear such as this. Also old enough to now be a member of an 1836 pre-Civil War Cavalry unit (oldest mounted cav unit in the U.S.) so have a good selection of other related stuff. I have these that are about mint and also have a pair of Brown as well in equally good condition. Would be wiling to provide photos of them soon as a reply to this discussion. These thick heavy duty leggings (puttees) are a bit hard to find but are available on ebay and etsi albut being a bit pricey as well. I got these many years ago when WW1 was a forgotten war. As previously stated, these are probably the best lower leg protective gear there is, even though I am a bit biased. If you look for these as a leg gear option, be very careful because the strapping can be dried out and they are unusable unless boot repairs are an available option. Would be willing to share photos but not on this forum for obvious reasons. Feel free to ask questions if you so desire. Best.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am a collector of WW1 and mid-WWI/WWII militaria and especially pre WW2 cavalry uniforms, field equip and gear such as this. Also old enough to now be a member of an 1836 pre-Civil War Cavalry unit (oldest mounted cav unit in the U.S.) so have a good selection of other related stuff. I have these that are about mint and also have a pair of Brown as well in equally good condition. Would be wiling to provide photos of them soon as a reply to this discussion. These thick heavy duty leggings (puttees) are a bit hard to find but are available on ebay and etsi albut being a bit pricey as well. I got these many years ago when WW1 was a forgotten war. As previously stated, these are probably the best lower leg protective gear there is, even though I am a bit biased. If you look for these as a leg gear option, be very careful because the strapping can be dried out and they are unusable unless boot repairs are aWilln option. Would be willing to share photos but not on this forum for obvious reasons. Feel free to ask questions if you so desire. Best.
Here is a pair of Brown Leather leggings I also have in the collection that I also wear as well:

·
Registered
25 Posts
They are called leather legs here Critter.
Now that is interesting. I didn't know about these and can understand why they would be a great design and use in Texas with open brush country and protection against snakes and other crawly creatures. In the early 20th century they were a common item worn with vintage breeches by military officers, NCO and cavalry personnel , motorcycle police, Civil Conservation Corps, National Park Service, survey personnel and for family camping and outdoor purposes. One big difference I notice with the "leather legs" is the leather thickness and flexibility though are appropriate for the environment. The early 20th century (and some repro items) were/are very thick and stiff leather probably because of the greater chance for severe injury below the knee and also less thought given back then to comfort versus functionality. Love the pairs we have since we're so used to wearing breeches when bike riding anyway. I have always been interested in early American history. The key usage here is the protection of the leg below the knee. Too bad the early 20th century models are no longer readily available for biking use since they work well under jeans or any other riding pants. Nice and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Not an ad for a particular brand or boot, but I took advantage of a sale on Revzilla and bought a pair of Alpinstars SMX-1R Vented Boots and think that these will be my everyday boots for the next few riding seasons. Unlike some that seem made for small European feet, these boots come a bit large. I wear an 11 shoe, and ordered the 10.5 size since there is no 11, and they fit perfectly. Very nicely made, easy access with a side zipper and velcro flap, and according to the reviews on Revzilla, let a lot of airflow cool the feet in summer. I won't say how many boots I have bought in the last decade or so, and most of them have disappointed me. Usually I feel like a boot needs to be broken in to feel comfortable, but these felt good right out of the box. Worth the $145 that was the sale price.
Several months ago I attended a training class and rented boots, they were the Alpinestars SMX Plus (non-vented full height). I wear a size 8 and these boots were the only boots I have ever wore that did not require a break in to feel good on my feet, and they were new in the box. Throughout the 2 days I pretty much didn't even think about them, they were there doing their job but without any rubbing, stiffness or sores. I prefer the mid-calf height over the 1R ankle height, but that is just my preference. Perhaps @vito in the summer or fall, after you have put some miles on them you will return to this thread and write a review.

In all the years I have ridden in the east, northeast, midwest, south and southwest I only remember seeing one rider wearing leggings. He was riding an Indian bagger, and was wearing tan swede leggings with trim to match his tan jacket with trim, that all matched his saddle bags with trim. I did try wearing leggins during a land research many years ago (on foot, not riding) as we were in and out of some nasty infested rattlesnake areas. I tried leather and canvas, laces and velcro and could never find a pair that were comfortable that fit my boot ankles and calves. They added weight to the lower leg that was annoying during rock climbing and speed hiking the desert and of course they trapped the heat and added to dehydration. Leggings fail to support the achilles tendon (back of the heal) and the extensor tedon's (front of the heal), because they are not firmly attached to the boot like some motorcycle specific boots are.

@DRAWS As a part of the costume wear I can see their advantage and after all the years of wearing them you most likely feel undressed without them, where as I would feel over dressed. And, of course there is the convenience part, I slip on my boots, pull the zipper and I'm done with that part of my gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts