Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! It's Moe again! So I have my Suzuki Bandit GSF600S, my first bike ever and it runs relatively well, you know just some small issues that need to be looked at like the brake pads and what not.

I had a friend that is a more experienced rider tell me that I shouldn't invest too much in my first bike as it's my first. Keep in mind I have huge ideas for this monster, like conversions, new parts such as: Exhausts, Tails, Fenders, New Dash, New Brakes and so much more, essentially transforming the whole bike.

Keep in mind it runs well without all these things but I prefer to upgrade because I am a novice and love working on my bike.

Do you guys think I should keep investing or leave as is?

·
Registered
257 Posts
It's your bike. I say modify away if it makes you happy. Personalizing a bike will make it you appreciate it all the more and you'll feel good about doing a lot of it yourself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's your bike. I say modify away if it makes you happy. Personalizing a bike will make it you appreciate it all the more and you'll feel good about doing a lot of it yourself.
My only paranoia is that when and if I do crash all those parts may become damaged and I would've wasted money. What do you think?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well, that's the possibility none of us like to think about. Simple answer, drive carefully and don't crash. Have you taken the Beginners MSF class ? If not, I highly recommend taking it and soon. Then maybe put some miles on it like it is first, then decide if you still plan on keeping it for a while, then you can decide whether or not to sink some more money into it.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Don't overlook the fact that you never get back money you've spent modifying a bike when you sell it. New owners don't want your modifications or don't value them and want then for free.

I agree, ride it as is for a while, put some distance on it and you'll find out what are the important things to modify.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Don't overlook the fact that you never get back money you've spent modifying a bike when you sell it. New owners don't want your modifications or don't value them and want then for free......
So true. Modifying your bike is personalizing it - making it what YOU want it to be. The next owner isn't going to give you much for any of your extras because many times they want to personalize it to their own liking. You might spend some money on things like your helmet and riding gear that suits you first.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
When l insured my bike l insured it at an agreed value, that the insurance company accepted. Had l put a bunch of money into it, l could insure it for that, so l could get my money back out of it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses guys! So what I'll do is put some miles into my bike and if I'm comfortable enough I'll put some more money in it!

·
Registered
804 Posts
If you think you'll keep it even after you upgrade, by all means, change what you like. But as others pointed out, if you plan to sell it, you're just pouring money down the drain.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you think you'll keep it even after you upgrade, by all means, change what you like. But as others pointed out, if you plan to sell it, you're just pouring money down the drain.
I plan on keeping it, after all the first is always the most sentimental! ;D

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
I felt the same way when I had my first bike, 84 Honda Shadow. I worked on the necessary mods (exhaust, carbs, brakes, tranny, tires, etc) but anything further would be waste of time imo...

Unless you are ridiculously handy,I say wait until you get the bike you want before you start putting money into it.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I plan on keeping it, after all the first is always the most sentimental! ;D
There ARE those who "keep" their first bikes, and some keep ALL their bikes........but more often than not, most DON'T keep their first bike.

Just so you know........

-Soupy

·
8,574 Posts
Don't put to much money into it. It will never be a GSXR:biggrin:

The 600 Bandit is a great bike and very reliable and economical.

It's a good little bike but whatever you do, don't -repeat don't, ride a Bandit 1200 or 1250, your bikes older brothers because even stock they are very awesome and you'll want one:wink:

What I'm getting at is that probably at one time 99% of us absolutely loved our first bikes and at the time were very satisfied but then the opportunity arose to ride something faster and more powerful, or smoother or more comfortable for the long ride and PRESTO---the new bike virus hits you and you'll never really ever be truly happy!

Once income reaches parity with desire the fun begins.

79 bikes later, I'm happy but no sated:biggrin:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Whatever you change, keep the OEM parts. If you decide to sell the bike later on revert it back to stock, and then sell your custom goods on a model-specific forum where the interest is highest.

You won't break even, but you'll get a lot more than selling it customized and dumping the stock bits.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's not investing, that's only what husbands tell wives :) Definitely keep those original parts because you have to assume you'll get nothing for the mods when you sell. Do the mods early and often so you can enjoy them while you have the bike. Expect to get any additional value when you sell will only leave you open for disappointment.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
It's not investing, that's only what husbands tell wives :) Definitely keep those original parts because you have to assume you'll get nothing for the mods when you sell. Do the mods early and often so you can enjoy them while you have the bike. Expect to get any additional value when you sell will only leave you open for disappointment.
This is absolutely untrue...tricking out your bike is a fantastic investment, it makes you much wealthier, and raises the value exponentially...just not to anyone else ;)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Moe, there's one thing I have figured out in 50 years around bikes - DO WHAT PLEASES YOU! Sure, keep the original parts for the next owner but make the bike what you want and enjoy it. Unless you are a 'pro builder' and building to the market, this isn't even a break-even deal so just have fun.

It's not investing, that's only what husbands tell wives
Got news for you fellas - wives know that's a crock but let you go ahead 'cause it makes you happy and keeps you out from under foot and off the streets (in a manner of speaking).

·
8,574 Posts
Moe, there's one thing I have figured out in 50 years around bikes - DO WHAT PLEASES YOU! Sure, keep the original parts for the next owner but make the bike what you want and enjoy it. Unless you are a 'pro builder' and building to the market, this isn't even a break-even deal so just have fun.

Got news for you fellas - wives know that's a crock but let you go ahead 'cause it makes you happy and keeps you out from under foot and off the streets (in a manner of speaking).

She is 100% right on the money:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts