Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very new to riding never rode a motorcycle have rode dirt bikes a little I'm 5'11 135 pounds just wondering is a 900 vulcan custom a good first bike for me

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We don't really have any big highways around the house little four lanes 55 top lol just worried about the weight of the bike 600 pounds and what to expect in curves never rode anything close to being that heavy

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I'd recommend taking the state rider's course before heading out. The techniques you can learn there will transfer over to heavier motorcycles.

I believe they charge $100 for the course in WV, which is a bargain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I could find one that does it on the weekends I would love to but so far the ones I found is Friday threw Sunday and I can't get off work

·
Registered
804 Posts
If I could find one that does it on the weekends I would love to but so far the ones I found is Friday threw Sunday and I can't get off work
Look for Motorcycle Safety Foundation courses. Also check with your local dealers, especially Harley Davidson. I'm sure there will be options for the weekend.

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you have never ridden on the road before you should start on something smaller until you get some experience first. Maybe a 250cc or up to 500cc to learn on, then move up as you get more experience.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Take the course, then you can assess your skills. When I took the course a couple years ago, the 250cc bikes seemed so small in the dealership, but just about right after the course. I would say go to a dealer and sit on a bike like the Vulcan. Try and pick it up to see if it's too heavy. I'd agree a 600 pound bike for someone with limited experience is asking for trouble, but only you know yourself. If you're just doing 55MPH, my 250cc will do that all day.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm a noob also and personally wouldn't feel too comfy on that bike. I tried sitting on the Bolt...which I think is lighter than the Vulcan and I'm heavier than you but still don't feel confident managing its weight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh gosh no. Too heavy, and not much fun for you. Try a Vulcan 500 instead, or better yet a Rebel 250 or Yamaha Virago 250. You'll have more fun and learn more quickly.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
As always, we are going to try to steer a new rider to one of the smaller bikes. Any of the big name 250 cc bikes will make a decent first bike and will feel light enough to just toss it around. I regularly ride a 1731 cc bike but really enjoyed taking the MSF rider training refresher on a 250 CC Honda Rebel. That bike could easily be used in a 55 MPH speed zone as could other bikes like the TU-250.
A small bike has lots of advantages including light weight, lower power output, low maintenance costs, good fuel economy and lower insurance costs. In general they are also much cheaper to buy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts