Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now living in Los Angeles, CA for about 3 months. I may permanently move here, but for now I am here for business, and I won't be changing my residence or my drivers license just yet. I have my M liscense in Wash, DC at the moment, but had to come out to LA before I could buy a bike.

I want to buy my first bike in LA. Can I buy a bike, register and insure it in CA to my sister's address here, but not change my license or primary residence to CA?

I will most likely buy a bike off craigslist or some private sale with cash. What do I need to do to get the bike legal in CA? What is involved in getting the title, tags, registration, and insurance. Can I do all of this if I do not live in the state?

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
Unless CA has some weird laws I wouldn't think it would be a problem. I imagine there are many college students who buy a vehicle but do not have to return to their home state to get it titled (title is going to be the main issue anyway).

Your best bet would be to contact a local DMV and get the proper procedure from them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts