Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it begins....

I've posted a few picks of my first bike, a 1982 Kawasaki KZ1100. Got a real nice deal on it. (at least that's what my family members told me). It's in full working order and has been garaged for over 20 years. The tank has some heavy scratches and some very small dents, but other than that it's in fantastic shape for it's age. I may plan on doing a restoration project on this if it's worth it, but I don't have enough information to make any kind of decision and I hope some folks on here can assist me with making that decision.

I should state straight away that I've never ridden before, and as of a few hours ago I am struggling doing passes in the driveway. I have a lot to learn, and I know it. My rider's course at the local Harley Davidson dealership starts in August, and right now I'm just hoping not to make a complete fool of myself. My goal right now is just be able to operate the motorcycle.

I'm getting the point of that you should ride as if nobody sees you and you're invisible to everybody....except cops.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee!
I have owned several Kawasaki 900's and 1000's over the years in addition to my Harleys. These particular Kaw's ( The KZ series) are powerful bikes for a new rider and frankly not very forgiving of any potential mistakes.,Ya, in addition to my 2003 Harley Heritage,I have a 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B 900, ( KZ) its crazy fast!
So, have fun...but be careful.
I think the BRC will help some.
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from East Tennessee!
I have owned several Kawasaki 900's and 1000's over the years in addition to my Harleys. These particular Kaw's ( The KZ series) are powerful bikes for a new rider and frankly not very forgiving of any potential mistakes.,Ya, in addition to my 2003 Harley Heritage,I have a 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B 900, ( KZ) its crazy fast!
So, have fun...but be careful.
I think the BRC will help some.
Regards
Ed
I was looking for something around a 250-500, you know, a starter bike. All I was finding for what I could afford ($1,000) that were like that were project bikes. I know the thing is powerful, but I'm hoping that just means I shouldn't heavily throttle it until I'm ready to.

When I saw how big it was I thought, "there's no way that this thing runs with no problems", but when he didn't flinch when he took the key out to turn it over I new I had to have it because deals like this don't come by me often. I'm comfortable enough on it, as every bike I've sat on (never driven though) were heavy Harleys of similar weight. It's a little tall, I might try to put a shorter seat on it as the original one on it is in excellent shape and I'd like to keep it that way anyways.

The only problem I've found is there's a very small oil leak on the left side leaks down to the header and it smokes off. I plan on cleaning the area tonight to see if I can minimize it for now, as perhaps just running it will seal it up. I'm looking at a gasket set though just in case it doesn't work. I'm okay doing mechanical stuff on cars, but I've never worked on a bike. My dad can help me out with that if need be.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. The class is a great place to start. You will learn most of the basics you will need. Be extremely careful until you've taken the class.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts