Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to the forum and though I'd introduce myself. I'm new to North American riding, as I just came back from a motorcycle trip around India, riding a 79 Enfield Bullet, it was spectacular. Buuut this trip inspired me and I decided I must own a bike!

So I bought one. With limited budget unfortunately as I'm a student. Its a 1980 Yamaha xs400, picked up for $200. I figured it was worth the buy as it runs, but not great. Firstly the battery doesn't seem to keep charge, which isn't an issue for now, but most importantly when it runs, it will stutter at low rpm, sometimes shutting off completely. Also if the choke is on, it will idle at 4k rpm? Is this normal. It had a high idle once as well with no choke.

I think I need to clean the carbs. Do these problems sound like they could originate from the carbs?

As previously stated, I'm relatively new, so bear with me. The Enfield I cut my teeth on was super easy to ride and fix, but this Yamaha seems a bit more complicated...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Praises

Thanks guys. I've looked at this forum for a while now, when looking into bike parts, you all seem super helpful and knowledgeable. I'm glad to join the community!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All,

New to the forum and though I'd introduce myself. I'm new to North American riding, as I just came back from a motorcycle trip around India, riding a 79 Enfield Bullet, it was spectacular. Buuut this trip inspired me and I decided I must own a bike!

So I bought one. With limited budget unfortunately as I'm a student. Its a 1980 Yamaha xs400, picked up for $200. I figured it was worth the buy as it runs, but not great. Firstly the battery doesn't seem to keep charge, which isn't an issue for now, but most importantly when it runs, it will stutter at low rpm, sometimes shutting off completely. Also if the choke is on, it will idle at 4k rpm? Is this normal. It had a high idle once as well with no choke.

I think I need to clean the carbs. Do these problems sound like they could originate from the carbs?

As previously stated, I'm relatively new, so bear with me. The Enfield I cut my teeth on was super easy to ride and fix, but this Yamaha seems a bit more complicated...

Definitly sounds like the carb is a real possibility for the cause of this issue...it would be my first guess

·
10,756 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like it could be the carbs, but post your questions in the repair or Yamaha sections for more information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts