Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got my quarterly bonus check and decided that since the 1984 Goldwing is too frustrating, I needed a more modern bike. I've been doing TONS of research over the past few weeks in preparation for my bonus, and one look (and ride) on this bike and I was in love!

This thing is as chromed out as possible, and decked out to make a damn good touring bike. The Cobra pipes sound awesome without being obnoxious, and man, this 1690cc V-twin really rumbles!

I purchased it from a disabled Vietnam vet who for medical reasons can no longer ride. Paid $5500 for it, and I think it was very well spent!

·
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe it or not I think one of the dogs did that, haha!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
They are nice bikes, congrats

·
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm very pleased with this bike's slow speed handling. It's much easier around town than the Goldwing, and seems just as easy (although different) as my Bandit.

I am going to have to learn how far I can lean the bike in turns, however. I scraped the floorboards in a mild turn getting on the interstate on ramp.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

I'm a little prejudiced towards R*s since I have two, but I love them. I, too, found one easier to ride than a Goldwing. You can't lean into a corner quite a much, and few bikes have the power of a newer GW, but for fun, the R* is pretty good. I just found mine to be much easier to handle and they fit me well.

It looks like the one you got is in pretty good shape. If you have any questions about yours, shoot me a p.m.

--

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Great looking bike!

I know on the newer ones, there is a bracket that can move the floorboards forward and up just enough to give more lean. They are great bikes for getting down the road in comfort.

·
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great looking bike!

I know on the newer ones, there is a bracket that can move the floorboards forward and up just enough to give more lean. They are great bikes for getting down the road in comfort.
I'll probably avoid that since my 30" inseam means that the controls are right on the edge of being reachable. If anything, I'll take a look and see if the previous owner installed one of these brackets because I wouldn't mind the floorboards and primarily the rear brake pedal being a tad closer.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Check to see if you can turn the brackets upside down put them on the opposite sides. I think you can on the rear to bring the pegs up and away from the exhaust. If that works, you may have to get the brake pedal shortened and re-chromed. Would probably have to remove the floorboard to change the oil filter unless you put a relocation kit on it.

I think the oil filter is on the bottom of that engine so you won't have to move anything.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I couldn't see it in the pic or video, is the front brake reservoir chrome? if the whole front is chrome you have the "S" model (like mine, only I have an '08) and it's only 1670cc or 102 ci

·
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the Road Star out today for a nice trip up Mt. Lemmon north of Tucson to get away from the heat -- its still in the 90s here. My only complaint so far is the clearance, or lack thereof, while turning. This thing scrapes at the most gentle of leans! Getting on the interstate when I brought the bike home I scraped the floorboards while turning onto the on ramp from a stop! That is definitely going to take some getting used to.

The wife LOVES the bike, by the way. She finds it much more fun to ride than the Goldwing, even if the Goldwing does have more clearance. ;)

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

My first one had drag pipes on it, but it became too obnoxious (loud) after a while, so I changed into stock (too quiet) and then into the Freedom Performance ones I have now (just right). But you can't really tell anything from a tape. You have to hear it in person to really judge.

As to chrome, the Silverado has a lot more chrome than the standard. I don't have a Silverado, so for some parts like the front forks, I had to polish them up myself with some effort.

The rear spring can be adjusted by turning up the pre-load some in front of the rear wheel. That will eliminate some of the sag when you're sitting on it, especially with a passenger. A Haynes or Clymer repair catalog should show you how. I have installed Roadwings on my two. That's a Gold Wing shock adapted to the Road Star brackets so you can have a heavier shock that's adjustable from a remote valve (called a RAP). It gives a far better ride than the weak stock shock. I also run an Austone taxi tire on the rear which raises up the back of the bike an inch or two, corrects the speedometer, gives better tire mileage, allows better turning, and gives passengers a much softer ride (as it's a radial which for me is only at 32# of air pressure).

Plus, I have put Progressive springs in front so I probably have a little less sagging than the stock springs. All that combines to give more ground clearance.

--

·
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RonK, any specifics on this Roadwing mod? I've done a search but can't find any specific mention of what model Goldwing rear shocks to use.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

A thread I posted on install is at this site.. Search under "Roadwing" and you will find tons of threads as that is a Road Star specific site.

--

1 - 20 of 28 Posts