Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the bike I wanted!!! Woo hoo! I sold my 2002 Yamaha V-Star 650 and bought a 1994 Honda Magna 750. I LOOOOVE it so much!

Now that motorcycle season is just about here, I know I'll be riding together with other people. (This will be my 3rd season) I always get bored riding with another person (on separate bikes), we don't have a communication system, so we don't talk on the rides and sometimes I wonder, what is the point of riding with someone if the only thing you're going to do is stop and eat way down the road? Am I missing something, or am I just too independent or what? I'll still go riding with friends, but I was hoping to figure out what the appeal is. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just my thoughts

For me, most of the time (~95%) i ride alone. However, when I do ride with someone else I don't have a com system either.

But, when I do ride with someone else we communicate with hand signals. The point and the thumbs up are popular. The views communicate to me and its nice when we do finally stop to discuss the things we were pointing out along the ride, tell 'big fish' stories and talk about the next ride we are taking. The ride is the main reason we're all out there.

For me that ride and the memories it gives me keeps the conversation going, and it seems to do the same for my riding companion by the time we sit down for lunch, dinner or a beer.

I don't want to chat the whole ride, but it sure is nice to chat about it afterwards!

Just my take on why I do enjoy riding with others from time to time.

Enjoy the ride - be it by yourself or with others, whatever you prefer!
:71baldboy:

3G

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 3G. I have to laugh at the hand signals, most of the time I'm like...what? That trash can? Yeah...that's a nice trash can. I never see what they are pointing at!

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Nice looking bike. I always liked that bike but it just didn't fit me. Guess that's what happens when you get old and.......lumpy? Nah, FAT.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks 3G. I have to laugh at the hand signals, most of the time I'm like...what? That trash can? Yeah...that's a nice trash can. I never see what they are pointing at!
Shmoggy gets it! Finally someone who appreciates trash cans as much as I do!

3G

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Shmogg

when you get to know your riding friends, you'll get to know the hand signals.

yes, while riding you are not talking. the experience is the GROUP ride. and different groups have different styles. Some people do use intercoms a lot. I have never used them. I like being in MY world on the bike, and part of a group if that's what I choose to do.

actually, my group recently fractured and everybody went their own separate ways. that's life. stuff happens. it's all good.

take time to be selective with WHO you ride with. It will pay off in the end. For example, a few years ago one of the folks we ride with was injured when his bike went down. It wasn't on a group ride. But everybody knew him. I was SHOCKED when I discovered that only 2 people had called him on his cell phone to see how he was actually doing (and I was one of them). Your GOAL is to ride with the kind of people who WILL call you if something like that happens. If somebody doesn't make the call, DROP them from your riding circle. If people cant even be bothered to make a phone call when a riding buddy is in trouble, they DON'T belong.

Best of luck to you!
dT

·
Registered
886 Posts
When I bought my first road bike I thought a long ride would be boring as I had been used to listening to a stereo or talking to someone in the passenger seat in the four tire. I was wrong, the ride and being involved in it was so much better. I hate to say it but you seem like the social type Shmoggy, maybe try a different helmet with Bluetooth or some other way to converse by hands free phone or whatever else is available, you may find out your friend does have a trash can fetish. Otherwise I think you just need to let the bike talk to you.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,354 Posts
The bike, the ride, the scenery. What more do you need. I ride alone 90% of the time 9% with my daughter's father-in-law, and 1% with him and his friends.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
99.9% riding alone. Of course that doesn't count my girlfriend on the back, but I did get a com system for the two of us to be able to talk when she is with me. As for the rare times I ride with others, it's hand signals and talking at stops.

·
8,592 Posts
Now, at this time in life when as Hank Williams Jr. sang: "All my rowdy friends have settled down---," I don't have as many people to ride with so most of my riding is alone but my Son rides with me when he can and in fact, we rode just shy of 200 miles yesterday, had a great lunch, took some pictures and enjoyed being together.

I feel it is safer to have at least another rider with you just in case something happens in the middle of nowhere. Believe me, it happens.

Good friends enjoy doing things together and riding is something I've done with good friends for over 50 years. We also RV'd, camped, rode 4 wheel atv's together, boated and scuba dived together and enjoyed the shooting of our many rifles and pistols and the occasional hunting trip. Lots of my friends are either to old to ride anymore or have moved on.

I enjoy people. There will be a time when we may be all alone---who knows.

This is a quotation from John Donne (1572-1631). It appears in Devotions upon emergent occasions and seuerall steps in my sicknes - Meditation XVII, 1624:

"All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness....No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

Very nice bike!

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Nice! Glad you got the bike you wanted.
Most of my riding is with my wife on the back (she has no desire to ride her own) and I'm ok with that. When I can meet up with my riding buddies we do a lot of pointing or possibly hollering back and fourth on the road. We'll joke and chat at stop lights or signs, and always good conversation when we dismount somewhere. Our riding style varies depending on who all is in our group that day. Sometimes faster, spirited riding, and others slower cruises, but always a good time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts