Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased the OEM battery for my 98 Honda Shadow 1100. I don’t plan to install until the spring....live in VA.

Should I add electrolytes now, charge, and put on tender til spring or wait until then to do it? I’m probably splitting hairs right now but wasn’t sure if it was bad for it to sit without the acid and without being charged.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,766 Posts
Long term exposure to the air will degrade the plates in the battery, even if you keep the cell covers on, unless the factory storage seals are perfectly intact. Still, there is a storage shelf life, but you'd have to contact the battery maker to see if over-winter will have an effect. I would add the electrolyte now, and use the tender, just to make sure battery life isn't reduced, especially if an answer isn't forthcoming.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Should I add electrolytes now, charge, and put on tender til spring or wait until then to do it?
It depends on the type of battery. Lead-acid batteries are usually dry charged and sealed.
This type of battery should have a long shelf life once the seals are intact.

Yuasa AGM bike batteries are vacuum sealed. You can hear the pop when
you remove the foil seal. This type of battery can be stored in a cool
dry place for several years with little or no degradation of the battery.

Short answer: Leave it until spring unless the seals are broken.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
I had a battery for one of my Yamahas. It sat on the shelf for a couple of years. Then I needed a battery for one of the other bikes, so I added they liquid and charged it. I would let it sit until needed. That is what the battery shops and auto parts stores do.

UK

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
I'd leave it sealed and dry until needed. It will be fine.

·
American Legion Rider
25,884 Posts
Yep, leave it sealed. Once you add the acid it will start the process of dying the slow battery death even if on a battery maintainer. Although not as fast as if not on one. Just wait until you are ready to use it. There is something about being able to ride if the weather is nice though. But if you have no intention of riding until spring, then just wait until then. On your shelf or some warehouse, it's the same.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I'd let leave it sealed up. Spring is not far away and degradation should be minimal. Once you add the electrolyte it becomes an actual battery and thus has a limited lifespan.

·
American Legion Rider
25,884 Posts
No foil seal....just the yellow filler caps.
I'd let leave it sealed up.
But there's his concern, it isn't sealed. Will it begin to degrade anyway now, so may as well put the acid in, bring it up to full charge and put it on a maintainer. I'm honestly not sure which is better in this case. If it was sealed, yes, leave it sealed, but it isn't.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
It will have the vent. The caps seal. It is still inert on the inside. The plates and things should not be reacting with each other via air. Keeping it dry and warm would help. Thinking ----- The vent is plugged on a new battery I think. Anyway, I did it. The battery for Laramie sat on the shelf for about two years. It got put in to service when the battery in Yami died.
Bluzu still has his original battery, since 006, maybe 007.

UK

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
But there's his concern, it isn't sealed. Will it begin to degrade anyway now, so may as well put the acid in, bring it up to full charge and put it on a maintainer. I'm honestly not sure which is better in this case. If it was sealed, yes, leave it sealed, but it isn't.
Like Krusty said, the caps should seal the inside of the battery. No acid means the battery is inert. I once bought one of these types of batteries and the caps were rubber and almost had to be pried out. Put it in someplace with low humidity and it should be fine when Spring rolls around. :)

·
Ace Tuner
3,481 Posts
There should be a factory installed red plug that caps the vent.
I'd recommend leaving it dry till you intend to use it even if the vent cap is gone.
I've known lead acid batteries to sit on the shelf for years before they were serviced (acid added) with no ill effects.
After you 'juice it', that's when it starts to fade, fade, fade away.....
BTW,
Grease on the terminals, lugs and hardware will stop corrosion from forming.

S F

·
American Legion Rider
25,884 Posts
I don't think 4 or 5 months is that big a deal one way or the other personally. If it fails in that short of time, it had a problem anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Recently purchased the OEM battery for my 98 Honda Shadow 1100. I don’t plan to install until the spring....live in VA.

Should I add electrolytes now, charge, and put on tender til spring or wait until then to do it? I’m probably splitting hairs right now but wasn’t sure if it was bad for it to sit without the acid and without being charged.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't add the acid until I'm ready to use it and at that point put it on a tender for a day or two. I bought a great battery on sale and putting it on the shelve until I need it without the acid in it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts