Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"New baby in the house," ................And boy does she SQUAWK!! Her name is "Selmer" and she's a Tenor (a Bundy II).......and "yes," (btw) you are correct........I'm such a "Newb" that I put the Ligature on, upside down!! lol).

-Soupy

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Congrats there Soupy!! Have you made room in the garage to start practicing? I'm sure your wife would enjoy it much more from a distance until you learn a little. ;)

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I learned how to play "Joy To The World" and she video taped it (unknown by me until she called my name). If I can find the video, I'll post a link.

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The First Step

Consider this...........I have piano, Organ, Voice, Trombone, Guitar, Mandolin and Ukulele backgrounds. Never have I attempted, owned or even held a Saxophone until 5 PM last night.

Now take into account that I slept for 8 hours, and I practiced the Saxophone for about an hour, from a YouTube video that taught me the positions for the "C Major Scale."

So, when you consider all that...........this ain't all that painful to watch!! (lol).

Do I admit "numb mouth" from the buzzing reed? Yep!! Do I realize it IS indeed painful to listen to on some level..........yes (lol).

On the other hand.........I consider it "a work in progress!!" (The song? "Joy To The World" of course!!)

-Soupy

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
So you've never played before? Good for you for going for it!

I used to play trumpet until my horse nodded his head at me and drove my teeth through my upper lip. Severed the nerves and I've not been able to play since. Hmmm... maybe I could play a woodwind...

Keep us apprised of your progress!

Never mind... you posted at the same time I did!

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Metaldoc: I can tell you that I'm "into" doing it, and it's helping keep the "I miss my bike" disease away, so what the hey!!

All it takes is a visit to a local shop with instruments on the wall........next thing ya know......you've bought one!!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Very awesome Soupy! I have a tenor sax too, picked it up in highschool & haven't so much as seen it since :D

You play incredibly well considering your limited time with it!

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NordicMan: Never too late to get back to what you USED to do. I did that with the motorcycle! Find that horn, and show me a thing or two.........I could use a good "Teacher!"

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
You darn sure did better than I the first time I picked up the trumpet. Wonder how many others tried brass and ended it with busted lip. Dang jug head horse ended it for me too. That horse never raised it's head again after my father-in-law got through with it. Not as bad as you might think. He got a glass wine jug, filled it with warm water, mounted and the first time it did it he hit that thing over the head with the jug breaking it allowing the water to run down it's head. It dropped it's head an never ever did it again. He said it made the horse think it was bleeding to death. I'm not a horseman so have no idea if that's possible or not. Anyway, I actually thought sax was more expensive. Maybe I was more ready to stop and that was a good excuse.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Dang, sounds like there are several of us "used to be" trumpet players. Dentures stopped me from playing. I really would have rather played the Sax though!!.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Finally got to listen to it, not too shabby for someone that has never played before. I'm sure your wife will be enjoying wonderful music before long.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking good! I used to play the saxophone when I was in grade school but didn't keep it up.
You and Nordicman should make a journey to your attics, find your horns, and teach me a thing or two!!

I came home from work today (still in a lot of pain in my hips and legs) and picked up the saxophone to practice. Played a few notes and put it down. I think the reed may be dead, but more likely it was just "me."

Still looking for a local, reasonably-priced Teacher to set me on a path that takes me where I'd like to be. Left to my own devices, with videos on YouTube, I know enough just to be dangerous (as Eye discovered.....lol).

-Soupy

·
2,802 Posts
Maybe check with the local high school and see if a band student would like to do some 'tutoring'. Might be a good deal for both of you.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not a bad idea, "Metaldoc." Perhaps the Music Teacher in the High School might have a recommendation based on his/her knowledge of "who" is a good enough player to trust to teach someone. (If they are willing, that is).

-Soupy

·
Left. No, the other left.
209 Posts
Congratulations!
I had a trumpet for a while. I could get it to make noise, but nothing anyone would mistake for music.
(I'm just gonna stick with my guitars.)

·
2,802 Posts
Not a bad idea, "Metaldoc." Perhaps the Music Teacher in the High School might have a recommendation based on his/her knowledge of "who" is a good enough player to trust to teach someone. (If they are willing, that is).

-Soupy
Yeah, it would take the right student and a teacher willing to make the assessment and connection for you, but it could work out.

Maybe there's another sax player in your area that would be willing to help you get over the hump. Try an ad on Craigslist, perhaps? There are lots of piano teachers out there... might just be someone willing to teach some of the finer points of playing a sax. :icon_cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts