Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's official, I traded my running 81 GL for three 76 GL1000s. One will probably start with a new battery from the look and feel of it, one needs minimal clean-up but will also probably start pretty easily, and one will probably be a parts bike. The engine was stuck on that one, and while I got it free pretty easily, it hasn't had a good life.

This is a good one - everything moves freely and the engine feels pretty good with the kick starter. It was last registered 2012 and has 43K on it. I bet with some carb cleaning this will start and run.

This is the parts bike. Cosmetically it's in pretty good condition, but the engine was stuck, and even though it's now free it feels pretty sad. Maybe it will run if I'm desperate enough, but it's going to be the donor bike.

The third I'll post pictures of tomorrow when I pick it up. I thought my trailer was big enough for three at once, but it shrank drastically when I got two loaded on it.

I also have to decide WHAT I'm going to do with them - how they're going to get built - stock resto, racer, bagger? These early ones were fast! There's a lot of good parts on them - all the seats are good, exhausts are good. One is actually really nicely set up for touring (the one I haven't posted yet.)

Either way, good score!

:71baldboy:

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Awesome! How do you keep finding these deals? You should do another build thread for each one you bring back. I really enjoyed thread you just finished.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Very cool! With lots of work and minimal out of pocket costs you can potentially have two great bikes from this. In my area the naked Goldwing look has gotten popular.

Are there 4 good tires?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,420 Posts
Great find, but what are you going to do next month?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plan right now is to winch both of these into my workshop. I want to take the good one above down to the frame over the Winter and scavange parts off of the other as needed. There's probably also a few things I can fleaBay, like the Vetter bags and fairing.

The third I'm not sure what to do with. I'm about 50/50 on cleaning it up and flipping it for the $$, or storing it for a later date.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the third home today. As I suspected, I popped in my spare batttery and was able to coax it to life. It needs a lot of tuning and refinement, but it's actually a really nice bike. Only 26K miles too, so it's still a baby!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,420 Posts
A little soap and water and that one will be ready to go

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes and no. If it's in good usable condition you can usually sell it on eBay ok - I was planning on doing that on the Vetter fairing on the 43k bike above. Selling locally is difficult because these only fit the GL1000, and there's not that many out there so odds are no one nearby is looking for this specific one.

Feel like I won the lottery - the 26K bike has a brand new set of Dunlop 404s on it - can't be more than 2 or 3 years old - they look great!

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
l'm not a huge fan of the naked look, but l do kind of like the naked Goldwings...lf l was going to do that, a GW is what l would start with

·
Registered
257 Posts
A little trip down memory lane for me. I bought a new 76' GL 1000 in April of 76' in Corpus Christi, TX for $2750 including TT&L - out the door. Same red color as the ones in your pictures. I loved that bike but it got terrible gas mileage, high 20's usually, from day 1. Of-course the 76's were still on points ignition. I was able to "kick" start mine with one hand easily with that removable foot pedal. 76' was also the first year that the drive shaft had a grease fitting on it - 75's didn't have that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts