Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am vary excited to start learning how to ride. I plan on taking the safty course around tax season. I recently got a job at nice motorcycle dealership. New to bikes and no real clue how to ride well at least when I started. I am looking to get my first bike next year. So i figured get my research on now to become and smarter buyer and owner of gear. My job at the motorcycle dealership puts me in a good position for a little better deals. I still have lots of questions and my coworkers have been helpful but I dont want to drive them crazy with a million questions a day.

So I know hyosung gets mixxed emotions. Some more harsh then others I have chance to pick up a 250gtr 2013 new for cheep. As for reselling any frist bike will more then likely sold to a friend who also wants to get into motorcycles. My questions is should I stay away and get something used or take advantage of a cheep new bike with a warranty. If you had $3000 what would be a dream frist bike for someone 6'4 220ish. Are crash bars a worthy investment for a newb. What the biggest regert made regarding bikes or gear.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I am glad you are interested and researching before just jumping in.

First off, take the class. You will learn a ton, way more than just how to start and stop and turn. Riding is at least 50% mental, and what they teach is designed to keep you alive.

As far as buying a bike, l wholeheartedly believe in buying used for your first bike. It is your first bike, not your last. You will buy it, learn on it, and then move up to the bike you really want. Save your new bike purchase for your second bike.

You are a bigger guy, so the typical beginner bikes may not be for you. I generally say a Kawasaki 250 Ninja for guys who like sport bikes and Honda 250 Rebel for those who like cruisers. They are both pretty small though. I am your size, and l rode a 500 Ninja and it was pretty cramped. So maybe a Suzuki S40 or an SV650, or something along those lines. A Kawasaki Ninja 650 is along the same lines as an SV650.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a Klr650 used would that be to much for me. I am okay with getting a beater I am no mechanic but brought back to life my first car in many of parking lots. You're the second person to recommend a bigger bike.

I know what I learn now could save my bacon down the road. I do take pride in never been in a car accident before. Lots of close calls I have already learned how to drive as if I was invisible.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
We have a Klr650 used would that be to much for me. I am okay with getting a beater I am no mechanic but brought back to life my first car in many of parking lots. You're the second person to recommend a bigger bike.

I know what I learn now could save my bacon down the road. I do take pride in never been in a car accident before. Lots of close calls I have already learned how to drive as if I was invisible.
I don't think it would be too much. You're a big guy, that bike only has like 40 horsepower. If you like dual purpose bikes, it would be a fine choice.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I agree with Calculon. But I recommend you take the BRC before you buy. You might find that you really want something else or you might find that riding's not for you. Good Luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think it would be too much. You're a big guy, that bike only has like 40 horsepower. If you like dual purpose bikes, it would be a fine choice.
well I just sat on the used one we have. I can go flat foot and it felt quite comfortable. So it looks like I lean to a klr as my first bike. I do like that new ktm 390rc. I am getting the feel now that will be to small for me.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Really, the thing is...you're gonna drop whatever you buy. That isn't a scare tactic, nor is it meant to intimidate or make you want to run the other way. And by drop, l don't necessarily mean you are going to smash into another car at 80 mph and become a veggie tale. But you will drop it. When you first start riding, nothing has fully sunk in yet, there are a million things that you want to remember, your head is full of thoughts..."Nice start, okay shift to second, let the clutch out easy, now third...clutch in, tap back brake, down to second, it turned green, okay, go ahead, oh crap, that lady wants to turn left...does she see me? DOES SHE SEE ME? BITCH!!! Phew, made it through that..." At some point, something silly happens, you park in a gravel parking lot, kill it on a hill...in my case, l parked in a dark parking lot on a rainy night under a dead street light and stepped into a big oil patch...and bang, down she goes. And at that moment, you have two choices...you can drop an older bike that has already been dropped and isn't beautiful, and cost you a couple grand, and is still worth a couple grand...or you can drop a brand new shiny beautiful bike that you just spent $6999 for and is now worth $2800...you decide that beforehand, not after.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True true. I have been telling myself that dropping my frist bike a few times is normal as getting gass. I will do everything I can to not drop it but I already expect it. Why i wS asking about the hyosung in the frist place. But the klr I am looking at already has crash bars and that is a huge incentive to me.
I look at a frist bike not a dream,good looking, or well loved. Some ugly pig that happens to be a kung fu master and teach me in the ways of the road. I am all for other bike suggestions. I feel that klr might be a good teacher. I dont mind crawling befor running.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its 2008 around 15k miles a box and I think a custom exhaust. Not all sure what else has been done it stickerd at 2999 but ill be getting a better deal seeing as I work in sales and the bike hasn't had any biters.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I don't know about your area, but in Seattle that would be a good deal for that bike in good condition, especially if you can get it down to $2500 or so out the door.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I am glad you are interested and researching before just jumping in.

First off, take the class. You will learn a ton, way more than just how to start and stop and turn. Riding is at least 50% mental, and what they teach is designed to keep you alive.

As far as buying a bike, l wholeheartedly believe in buying used for your first bike. It is your first bike, not your last. You will buy it, learn on it, and then move up to the bike you really want. Save your new bike purchase for your second bike.

You are a bigger guy, so the typical beginner bikes may not be for you. I generally say a Kawasaki 250 Ninja for guys who like sport bikes and Honda 250 Rebel for those who like cruisers. They are both pretty small though. I am your size, and l rode a 500 Ninja and it was pretty cramped. So maybe a Suzuki S40 or an SV650, or something along those lines. A Kawasaki Ninja 650 is along the same lines as an SV650.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1
Very good advice!!
Ed

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Hey Gambit, Back to the KLR, sounds like a great deal to me. I'd buy it. And I don't think you should worry about it being to much bike. You'll do fine with it especially with your size. As for the dropping thing, it happens to everyone. I actually never dropped any of my first 3 bikes. Then I bought my brand new sprint. Dropped her from a stop before I even got her home. Yes, I cried, well no I didn't, but I was completely P***ed. The Explorer has been down a few times, but that was in the dirt so IMHO it doesn't count.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts