Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i figure i better join a forum for some better information seeing as how there are not many i can ask in person.

I'm looking to become a good rider i've been driving a car for a few years now and don't get me wrong i don't mind driving my car. But i want to have more fun than just sitting on my ass and watching the trees go buy all boring and stuff.

I asked my mom about getting a bike and she has no problem with it due to the fact that i have not had a wreak yet or speeding ticket while driving my car. Im a very defensive and responsible driver.

So with that i set off to look in to how to get a bike. DERP! "i looked around and was clueless.
So my college offers the MSF course so im set to take that this up coming weekend and i got all the gear needed to take the class and ride etc.
I went looking for bikes and what sucks is there are no used ones near by and the ones at the dealers i found that where used where rusted and junky or they had way to much power for a beginner.

Now im 5ft 6 in roughly 5'7" to 5'8" with boots and weigh around 200+ lbs
I looked around and i hered Ninja 250s where great but i have my eye on a new blue Ninja 650r that the dealer is willing to cut me a deal on. Honestly money is not a issue.

But i cant find a used ninja so thats ruled out. and if the engine cc is 400 or 500 etc one of those weird numbers i cant find any. So basically im stuck between a CBR 250(comes with abs) or Ninja 650r there is possibly the chance of getting a new ninja 250, but im not really looking into the ninja 250 its to common.

Honestly i think its over rated. Too many people love the ninja 250 over say CBR 250 but in reality most people have not tried both to be able to say which is better so far all i know is that kawi makes good engines but get sloppy with other details as my uncle tells me.

So which do i go for. 4.5 grand on a CBR 250((abs)) or Try a risk and get a Ninja 650r. for a bit more. I'm looking for something that dose not require me to bend over so much but still gives that sporty look as well as something that's good for a new rider but not something that i wont be able to handle.

keep in mind im roughly 5-6 or 7 and weigh around the 200lb mark.

Also as a final note im not looking for speed so don't try to factor in a motorcycles top speed that i will most likely never use. I don't plan on going on any interstates with the bike at least not in my first year of riding that's what a car is for. I have had little dirt bike exp but this was few years ago.

Thanks for your time and responses.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
That's weird... It's a very well know / safe site.
Anyhoo, I was suggesting a new Royal Enfield UCE (Unit Construction Engine) Bullet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
650R/ER-6n sounds like a good idea. I'm strongly considering it for my first bike as well, although I have about 6 inches on you so you should check the seat height. I've heard there are very good deals to be had on ER-6n's especially, like in the 250R MSRP range.

·
Take it to the track
137 Posts
Skip the 650. Yes, it can be ridden by a new rider, but I still recommend against it. I do know a seasoned rider, and former racer who loves hers. Good luck keeping up with her though :D

Don't buy new for your first bike. Go the unglorified route of buying used so when you drop your new-to-you bike you won't feel as bad. In a year you can sell it for what you paid for it and buy what you really want. Being new, you won't really know what kind of bike you really want until after you have been riding a little while.

If money isn't an issue, go buy all that safety gear first (full suit, back protector, boots, gloves, full face, etc), then take the MSF class, then go look at motorcycles.

keep in mind im roughly 5-6 or 7 and weigh around the 200lb mark.
Weight isn't going to make a difference. I know people larger then you who race 6 HP motorcycles. I was up to 200 pounds without my gear a year or so ago. I have taken a 28 HP bike (same as a Ninja 250) two up with a combined rider/passenger weight of about 350 pounds and cruised at 80 MPH.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
650R/ER-6n sounds like a good idea. I'm strongly considering it for my first bike as well, although I have about 6 inches on you so you should check the seat height. I've heard there are very good deals to be had on ER-6n's especially, like in the 250R MSRP range.

I sat on a nice blue one the other week with normal shoes on and i would say the back off my feet where maybe just 2-4 cm off the ground. with boots i could flat foot it easy. And yeah there is a pretty nice deal on the 650r thats is on till the end of the month and its the last one they have. D:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand what you mean about buying a used bike as a first how ever used bikes seem to be lacking in my area. the few that i have seen used are like over 750cc bikes and im not dumb enough to take a good deal but i know thats way to much power for a new rider.

And as i said i am taking the MSF course in like 3 days i have all the gear already. So really i am just waiting to take that class but i know i wont buy a bike to maybe the week if not 2 weeks after that. Unless i just happen to be able to find a used one that's not to much power and not a death trap.
The last used bike i seen was black and purple and the front break disk where so rusted it was unreal, i could not believe they where trying to sell it to some one. Sadly if i do remember right it was to big for me anyway. If i don't have a choice but to get a new one then i have to be responsible for the choice i made if and or when i drop it.

((i would love to find a used 650 i was really trying to avoid the ninja 250 as i just dont really like it to much. The bike might be good but i sill consider it a tad bit over rated. But thats the stupid male reaction one has to seeing some one say its a girl bike and such. I would almost want to hit some one with the dang bike if they said that to me in my face.)) D:

·
Registered
987 Posts
If you listed which area you were in I might be able to find something for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you listed which area you were in I might be able to find something for you.
Well South Carolina Lancaster but im not trying to go far. as much as it is a bad idea to buy a new for a first rider it still might happen if anything ill make a mistake this way i can tell other new riders later on down the road as a living example myself. but feel free to try.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Get something with ABS if you can afford it. I REALLY wish my bike had ABS. It is a huge safety benefit on a motorcycle. With a car you just skid a little. If you lockup your front tire on a bike, you're very likely to crash then do some extreme sliding. I've only been riding since July 2010. I have locked my rear tire up way too often. ABS would be very nice.

Also, I have been throwing up this website since I found it. You should check it out if you haven't already.
http://cycle-ergo.com/

·
Registered
987 Posts
Out of curiosity does ABS make the bike shake like a car. If so then it seems to me that would be equally dangerous.

·
Take it to the track
137 Posts
Out of curiosity does ABS make the bike shake like a car. If so then it seems to me that would be equally dangerous.
ABS on a bike is far safer. There have been enough studies and anecdotal stories to prove it.

A chattering front end that is upright is easier to manage then a smooth front end that is sliding on its side is.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Get something with ABS if you can afford it. I REALLY wish my bike had ABS. It is a huge safety benefit on a motorcycle. With a car you just skid a little. If you lockup your front tire on a bike, you're very likely to crash then do some extreme sliding. I've only been riding since July 2010. I have locked my rear tire up way too often. ABS would be very nice.

Also, I have been throwing up this website since I found it. You should check it out if you haven't already.
http://cycle-ergo.com/
Well i think the 2010 650r has abs but now i might now get it for my first bike i might go with the 250 first. and i know it has no abs.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The seat is about an inch lower so for you in the 5'6" range it would probably be a little more comfortable. The bike does need a higher rev for power (kicks in at 4K versus 3K) but also has more in the top speed department. You will save big on the purchase price, insurance and registration fees though (to say nothing of resale value).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes. The 2010 and up 650R can be purchased with ABS. I have decided that my next bike will have it. Some people say they can brake better without ABS in a emergency stop. I can't, especially if it happened on a wet road with pavement crack sealer all over the place.

I may be able to upgrade my 2009 brake components with 2010 brake parts. Without investigating it, it seems like it would not be very had to do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes. The 2010 and up 650R can be purchased with ABS. I have decided that my next bike will have it. Some people say they can brake better without ABS in a emergency stop. I can't, especially if it happened on a wet road with pavement crack sealer all over the place.

I may be able to upgrade my 2009 brake components with 2010 brake parts. Without investigating it, it seems like it would not be very had to do.
Well i most likly wont be getting the 650r so soon but i do wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The seat is about an inch lower so for you in the 5'6" range it would probably be a little more comfortable. The bike does need a higher rev for power (kicks in at 4K versus 3K) but also has more in the top speed department. You will save big on the purchase price, insurance and registration fees though (to say nothing of resale value).
Well i do want the bike to have some sort of resale value encase i do chose to move up at some point but even if i dont it cant hurt to have a few up to date parts although technology is kinda taking over everything and is ruining peoples lives because the cant do things by hand. but thats for another topic other than motorcycles. Who knows maybe 250's with carbs might come in handy one day with Electronic fuel injection if something goes wrong in there your pretty much out of a bike. ((once again off topic Darn it me LOL ))

1 - 20 of 22 Posts