Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the street legal bike scene always been on dirt bikes.. I was recently given a 1981 Honda cb650c custom as gift from my aunt and uncle. Now the bike has been sitting for 15 years unfortunately /: my uncle said it ran like a dime and he rode it to and from work everyday until he almost got t-boned on his way to work. No my main concern is the bike has 56000 miles... On a dirt bike thats horrible right? I dont know if thats good or bad on a road bike ): yes I'm considering the fact its been sitting but even still is it high mileage? Low? If I wasn't sitting for that long would it be low miles? Or high miles?? Honestly I just want to know if thats good for a motorcycle whether its been sitting or not.... Pleas ehelp guys! I'm only 17 and just got my m1- license and they gave this to me as a project gift. Please help guys!!!! Thank you!!! (ps. I'm turning re bike into a cafe racer ;)

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Sitting for 15 years is going to be more of a concern than the mileage. It's going to cost some money to get it safely roadworthy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I know I've already ordered tank cleaner a full gasket set and 4 carb rebuild kits. I've already taken a look inside the motor she looks healthy my uncle got her serviced regularly :) my uncle drained the oil before he parked it but forgot to drain the gas. Is there anything else I should consider buying beside sparkplugs and the obvious stuff? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to get my uncles dream back on the road :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Actually, yr uncle not draining the gas, probably did you a favor.
All the gaskets o rings etc in the fuel system will not have dried out.
Unlike 2 stroke, not draining 2 stroke s a big NoNo
So, dump the fuel, clean the carbs, add new fuel, should be good.
Change all the liquids, Brake fluid, Oils.
Also as said Tyres ..Definitely
Then go for a gentle ride, as you test the systems Brakes etc.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
If your uncle did all the proper routine maintenance then that kind of mileage isn't a huge deal. It's getting up there, but should not deter you from fixing up the bike.

If you scroll down to the "New bike/rider" forum, and also the "Motorcycle repair" and "Restoration" threads below on the main page, you should find many threads that other people have started that are very similar to yours...ie. l got this bike, it has been sitting forever, where do l start? Read through those and you are bound to find many of your answers. Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
lube the cables, check your all the rubber hoses on the bike, check the chain out, after the new gas, carb fixes and tires...you should be good to go (oh and you probably need a new battery lol)

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I believe the engine shares the oil with the transmission and clutch on that model.

The first step would be to get a shop manual. It will have all the correct specs, instructions, capacities, and maintenance intervals so you can have them at your fingertips.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The oil dip stick should have the info stamped on it.
Should say something like SAE 10 W 40.
Good luck and post up some pics of that CB.

·
Registered
8 Posts
im in the same boat my dad was the original owner of a cb 750 k5 but it only has 5500 miles it sat for the last 20 years and he just recently passed and left it to me it has cost me a fortune and time to get her back up and looking good but worth it just need advice on my rear grab bar and rear turn signals

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
im in the same boat my dad was the original owner of a cb 750 k5 but it only has 5500 miles it sat for the last 20 years and he just recently passed and left it to me it has cost me a fortune and time to get her back up and looking good but worth it just need advice on my rear grab bar and rear turn signals
I would start a new thread and give clear information about what you have and what you need help with...your question will likely get buried in a thread like this. Also, if you don't have one yet, get a manual...if you get one of the knowledgeable mechanics spending their time to help you figure something out, they will all tell you to get one. Good luck with your project, and welcome from Seattle :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts