Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new pair of Tech 5 motox boots. With the standard shifter height (level with the peg), the boot will not fit under it. Literally had to turn my foot sideways to get the toe in there to shift up. Got home and adjusted the shifter so the toe of the boot can get in there. Only problem is I literally have to take my foot of the peg, raise my leg a few inches to downshift now.

Did I buy a crappy pair of boots? Maybe the sole is too thick? They're made of composite I believe so don't think they're going to soften up at all.

Aaaaaahhhhh!

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,392 Posts
Might just need a longer shift lever. What bike are you using them on?

·
Secret Agent
1,392 Posts
Motocross boots are designed to be ride motocross style, as in sitting forward on the seat near the tank. Peg placement will tilt your toes down a bit. I'm guessing you're sitting too far back in a more standard position and the stiffness of the boot is impeding your ability to get your toe under the shifter.

My son has a Rally. I'll put my motocross boots on and see how it goes.

I know I have no issue with motocross boots and my CRF 250x, and it doesn't have a very long shifter. It's also a stubby shifter and I have larger pegs.

·
Secret Agent
1,392 Posts
You'll either want some more limber boots (sacrificing protection), or adjust your riding position. Getting wider pegs allows you to have good footing and keep your foot near the shifter. You typically only use the edge of the boots.

Shows wider pegs in relation to shifter.

Gives an idea of distance between peg and shifter tip. When I'm seated on this bike racing with motocross boots, I'd be sitting at the furthest most point of the flat portion on the seat, where it starts up the tank.

·
Secret Agent
1,392 Posts
I will add, those boots will limber up as you wear them. I used to wear mine to work for the day to get them broken in. Either way, I'm sure you'll want to lower your shifter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice. I am wearing them to work. Only had the bike for a week so maybe me, the boots and the bike will wear in a bit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could you give me a measure from the front of the peg to the shifter to see if that gap is different? What year is your son's?

·
Secret Agent
1,392 Posts
The bike I pictured is an 06 CRF 250x, and just did so to give you an idea of my peg/shifter alignment and not having issues with motocross boots.

My son rally is a 2020, just like yours. I can probably get on it with motocross boots Wednesday and see how it works, with pictures.

·
Secret Agent
1,392 Posts
Just comparing low spot in the seat, in relation to the footpegs (on the Rally), it doesn't look like you could ever sit over the footpegs, where as on my pictured 250x, I'd be sitting just ahead of the footpegs.

This would put your feet behind you slightly, causing a natural tilt downward in your foot, allowing it to sit under the shifter.

·
Registered
418 Posts
When I ride my TTR230 with my Fox MX boots I have a similar issue. It makes the riding more of a chore than when I would ride with my leather street boots. I have learned to adapt my riding style to accommodate the boots but much prefer the flexibility of the leather boots. Unfortunately for me there is no extended shift lever available for my bike. I may be able to find one based on spline size but nothing simply listed in any of the part catalogs. The next time I go out trail riding it will be back to the leathers, but when I go to the track I will be in the MX boots. I dont usually get too wild when trail riding so I should be OK... (now that I said that... )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts