Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
I checked the site. Not much info about who makes them and where.
26 hp from a fuel injected 400 in 2019 is wimpy. What they advertise you can get from riding a bicycle, or any other motorbike.
The SOHC 360 twin Yamaha of 1980 made 35 hp, and the newer DOHC 400 made 45hp.
At 80 mph I will blow by you on my 83 XS400.
Let us know how your search progresses.

I like the single Yamaha 400, and the dual purpose 450 Suzuki, also a single.

UK

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's 40 year Honda technology updated with EFI. I don't think it's supposed to compete on specs with modern bikes. They are made by Shineray from original Honda tooling. Interesting story if you look it up. I think it's competition is something like the TU250X, but with a more usable motor.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shineray built the engines for Honda in the 80s & now builds them for Genuine & a few other companies. In Europe this is the Mash 400 by another company. It's a single but each exhaust valve gets a header pipe. It's not a race bike or designed to compete with twins, though I'd bet it's quicker than the Yamaha 400. Basically I think of it as a MUCH better looking Yamaha 400 that's 31 pounds lighter, $1,400 cheaper & has electric start. Or, a Suzuki TU250X with a bigger engine for $50 less.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
Shineray built the engines for Honda in the 80s & now builds them for Genuine & a few other companies. In Europe this is the Mash 400 by another company. It's a single but each exhaust valve gets a header pipe. It's not a race bike or designed to compete with twins, though I'd bet it's quicker than the Yamaha 400. Basically I think of it as a MUCH better looking Yamaha 400 that's 31 pounds lighter, $1,400 cheaper & has electric start. Or, a Suzuki TU250X with a bigger engine for $50 less.
I do like the idea of this size bike for around town. In fact I have nearly always had one of this size.
Favourites over the years: BMW 500 with Earls forks. Honda 400 four. Yamaha twin 400, have one now. Kawasaki 350 and 250 2 stroke. CanAm 250 dirt and street bike.

When the big bikes get too difficult to handle, I will likely be looking at something in the 350 to 370 pound range. The dual purpose bikes are of interest too. For the freeway it will need to do 80.
My XS400 can hit 90. They nudged 100 when new with a skinny kid in leathers tucked in.

UK

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Its one of those bikes that if you're looking at their stats on paper, you would dismiss it. But I've ridden a G400C and they're a hoot to ride. They sound, look and feel just like a bike from the 60s/70s, because other than a few updates, it is a bike from the 60s/70s. I wish the company luck and think they need to find new ways to get their word out. IMO, with such a large percentage of the population living paycheck to paycheck, these smaller, more affordable bikes are just what the sport needs now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts