Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I am driving a Shineray Explorer 200 which I believe to be a knock off of the QingQi200GY or just another name for it here in Central America. I am having some problems with the motorcycle and it is about brand new! Maybe some guys can shed some light on this for me. Mind you I have less than 400 km on the machine. I am taking it in tomorrow but the guys here do not have formal schooling in regards to motorcycle maintenance and if I could point them in the right direction that would be great.

About 2 weeks ago it began to leak some oil. I took it in and got it fixed. It was simply a bad drain plug. About the same time it began to be difficult to start up in the morning. It is a four stroke single cylinder 200cc engine. I've done all the normal routine. I put the choke on, put it into neutral, start it, let the choke halfway out and once it warms up I turn the choke fully off. After starting it, the motorcycle warms up. However, my issue has been that the engine will start fine with the choke on, and then be very finicky with the gas as I let the choke halfway out, and begin to die. If I let the choke all the way open, it goes kaput pretty quick. Then it sucks to get started again.

Well, after awhile of this, the motorcycle has started to turn off while driving it, usually only when I have the clutch it. I have had no engine trouble in terms of hitting anything so I am wondering what the issue is. What will happen is I can be driving along with enough gas for another 50km at least, and next thing you know, usually when downhill and applying no gas with the clutch it, the engine will just go off. I will only notice because I need to accelerate and then I got nothing. I have to pull over and get it going again, which typically is very tricky after it turns off. A lot of choking it, waiting, then opening it up and hoping it doesn't die again. I rode it this morning and had the same issue, it turned off 6 times in 40 km! Now, here is the kicker (and the reason that I believe it to be a gas or oxygenation issue), when I take the cap off the tank and then go to start the motorcycle, it turns on almost immediately after turning off while I was driving it! Anybody have ideas? If somebody wants a service manual, the only one I have is a pdf in Portuguese. Once again, help from y'all is better than taking it and letting them have at it. I live in Honduras so between a lack of modern motor education and just the sketchy method of repairing bikes here, I would love it if y'all could point me in the right direction.

EDIT: I also forgot to say, I have never, ever, been able to start it with the kick start. I'm a pretty strong guy too, which makes that also even more interesting as to why I can't get it going that way.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
when I take the cap off the tank and then go to start the motorcycle, it turns on almost immediately after turning off while I was driving it
When you take the cap off, do you hear a small rush of air? If so, I would say the vent in the cap has become blocked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't hear a small rush of air. I had no idea that there was a vent though. I will check it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I know that no one likes to hear you say l told you so, but a couple of months ago several people told you to spend a few hundred bucks extra to buy the Yamaha...you get what you pay for. I know this sounds like a dick move on my part, but you would probably be riding the Yamaha, don't you think?
I still stand by my decision. In a third world country, you take what you can get. I still think it would have been much more difficult to sell without a great loss in June. I'm just asking for ideas, it is guaranteed and going back to the shop tomorrow. Just was curious. Also, don't worry, I'm looking for a Yamaha or Kawasaki for when I go back to the U.S. That one is a no brainer.

EDIT: As for going back and buying it, I don't think so. My hope is that once the issue gets resolved that my problems will stay resolved. My list of issues with the bike so far have been:
-steering lock issue due to dumb neighbor moving the vehicle roughly
-oil drain plug issue
-starting/keeping the engine running

I still can use the bike and the good news is, I don't have an issue taking it places, I just have to keep a little more time open in case something happens. I am just trying to get the bike ready for a trip to El Salvador. Now, the other good news is I have paid not a penny (or even a Lempira, the local currency) for any of the fixes for the first two issues. I should still be looking at no problem and just a day on the bus for this fix as well.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I wish you well. I edited out that comment because l felt that l was being too harsh. I apologize for being so sharp.

I really hope they can fix it and you can get down the road and have a nice spell of a few months without issues :)

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
It sounds like the fuel cap isn't venting. Either replace it or take the fuel cap off every few kilometers and let air back into the tank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish you well. I edited out that comment because l felt that l was being too harsh. I apologize for being so sharp.

I really hope they can fix it and you can get down the road and have a nice spell of a few months without issues :)
Nah man, don't worry about it. I would have said the same thing in your place too. Down here things really just are different, and most people buy chinese, so in my case it would seem like a lemon, if those exist anymore. Since it is covered and guaranteed, I don't have too many worries. It is just a small hassle for me.

It sounds like the fuel cap isn't venting. Either replace it or take the fuel cap off every few kilometers and let air back into the tank.
That requires stopping a lot though, turning of the cycle, and removing the cap. That seems like a lot, no?

·
lost
1,106 Posts
Another vote for a clog in the fuel cap's venting. What happens is as the fuel level goes down there is no air coming into the tank. Eventually fuel flow stops and so do you. After sitting a bit, air will leak in and off you go. Or remove the cap and off you go. The cap will have some means of letting air in and that has failed somehow. There should be a way of taking the fuel cap apart and dealing with the problem.

Just a word of caution. Depending upon how the fuel cap is attached, you may be at risk for a huge headache. If the cap is hinged on the tank you need to remove it to work on it. Put a rag in the fuel tank opening to keep little pieces like circlips from falling in the tank. Work in an area where you can find the stuff you drop on the ground. This is from years of experience having a 2 hour search for a cheap but significant part, always on a Sunday afternoon when the shop is closed. Anyway, the problem is just a hole that needs something poked through it to make it a hole again.

This is a fairly common problem on older bikes, I'm a bit surprised you're having it on a new one. But hey, stuff happens. Easy fix and at no cost if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My gas cap is a single piece cap that I simply put the key in and turn to get off. I could walk away with the cap and separate it from the engine. There is no issue separating the two, so taking it off is not problematic. The thing is, the gas cap has two small, pin-like holes in it on either side that could affect the air flow. I am seeing about unplugging the holes, or if they are even plugged. I would be very surprised too if it was simply a cap issue.

Also, I took it to the mechanic and the manufacturer deauthorized him to work on my motorcycle so the vendor will be taking the motorcycle on friday to the manufacturer mechanic and he will be working on it. At least there they can check the entire engine over and make sure everything is good and in shape, as I have a week and a few days before I want to drive to El Salvador for my vacation.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
From your description of it starting right away when you pop the cap as opposed to having to wait to get it to start it really sounds like the cap is the problem.

Do you see any means to take the cap apart on the underside of it? Some caps will have a circlip on a post, once that is off the whole thing falls apart. Others my have been assembled by pushing all the guts into place and then crimping the bottom edge of the top down on them so it is not readily disassembled.

If you could buy a good length of fuel line you can try the following to see what happens.

Disconnect the fuel line at the fuel tank and connect a piece of fuel line long enough to reach a gas can that is big enough to hold all the fuel in the bike. Open the petcock and let the fuel flow.

If the tank vent is the cause of the problem it shouldn't take very long to show the failure. The gas will be leaving the tank faster than it would if you were riding the bike so all that you need to do is wait for the vacuum in the tank to be strong enough to beat gravity.

Just be careful not to get it all over the place or on yourself. No smoking and watch out for static electricity. Do this in a well ventilated location. And any other words of caution that need stating. Don't run with scissors either, I hear that is dangerous too.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
Just to reiterate what I think is happening.

You ride the bike and it quits. It is quitting once the fuel level in the carburetor's float bowl is getting low enough that the amount of raw gas going through the jets is giving you a mixture too lean to run the bike.

Opening the choke will bring the fuel mixture up to a rich enough ratio to get it started.

Waiting long enough will let the float bowl fill up and off you go.

It is a small engine so it will go a surprising distance on what is in the float bowl coupled with what fuel is going through the fuel line. Even if the vent hole is clogged, some air is still more than likely entering the fuel tank, just not fast enough to keep up. And enough vacuum has to build up to beat gravity. Even with the fuel tap turned to the off position the engine will run for a while, long enough to get the float bowl level low enough to get the mix too lean.

Gravity is one of those forces you're best off not arguing with.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
My gas cap is a single piece cap that I simply put the key in and turn to get off. I could walk away with the cap and separate it from the engine. There is no issue separating the two, so taking it off is not problematic. The thing is, the gas cap has two small, pin-like holes in it on either side that could affect the air flow. I am seeing about unplugging the holes, or if they are even plugged. I would be very surprised too if it was simply a cap issue.
There should also be vent holes inside, that route through, or around, the key mechanism. Some are just inside the rubber sealing ring, where a rubber ring that is too fat can cover them. The vent on my keyed Suzuki cap goes through the lock, and has a small steel ball inside, which is supposed to block it if the bike turns over, so gas doesn't leak out. You may be able to disassemble the cap from the inside, to check the vent system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys, I wanted to say thanks. I got the motorcycle back today, it runs and breathes like a charm now. The guy who fixed it (whoever it may be) agreed with you all. It was an airflow issue to the fuel tank or the delivery system. Somewhere the engine couldn't get the right mixture. It got fixed and I am happy again. Stay tuned to see if I have more issues. Also, someone should recommend an all-terrain (I don't know what you call it in english) bike that is a great quality, affordable, and reliable bike for when I get to the U.S. I would appreciate the recommendation!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts