Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It occurred to me I haven't heard of someone needing to rebuild an engine in years. Years ago yes but not today. I'm on bike # 8 & never wore out an engine. I've heard of several engines going over 100K miles with no problems. Maybe better oil, maybe better engines. A rider on Youtube put 186,000 miles on his Honda NC700X & it's still running like new. I'll quit wondering how long my bike's going to last. I'm 64 & I won't be around long enough to put 186,000 miles on my Honda NC700X.

·
Premium Member
9,157 Posts
Metalurgy improved a huge amount over the years. Except at Triumph. They used jobbers a lot. Oil also improved.
I should mention that engine design also leaped forward, except in England, up till the new Triumph plant opened in 1991. UK

·
Nightfly
4,465 Posts
What's the deal with Triumph, I haven't kept up. You would think a major motorcycle manufacturer would be on top of that, or maybe they aren't doing well enough. I really don't know.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
What's the deal with Triumph, I haven't kept up. You would think a major motorcycle manufacturer would be on top of that, or maybe they aren't doing well enough. I really don't know.
I have 3 of them, and so far they have been great bikes. But, like UK suggested, all mine are somewhat newer...2002/2006/2010. The 2010 has the most miles on it, almost 20k. I'll let you know when they all hit 100k. It will be a while. Last year I logged something like 5k miles, and it was the most riding I have ever done in any given year. This year I will do more.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
It occurred to me I haven't heard of someone needing to rebuild an engine in years. Years ago yes but not today. I'm on bike # 8 & never wore out an engine. I've heard of several engines going over 100K miles with no problems. Maybe better oil, maybe better engines. A rider on Youtube put 186,000 miles on his Honda NC700X & it's still running like new. I'll quit wondering how long my bike's going to last. I'm 64 & I won't be around long enough to put 186,000 miles on my Honda NC700X.
If you were to get out and ride you'd make it

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I've not had a bike long enough to put 100k on it, I like different bikes and change up every now and then.

But right now I'm setting on 3 that I might have for a very long time

·
Premium Member
9,157 Posts
The crappy Triumphs were from the early company, along with many other British brands. But Triumph were having serious problems towards the end, which would be the seventies.
The new company building bikes since 91, is completely different.
Norton and Triumph were making the same basic engine, fourty plus years after they were designed. As the size and power went up, so did the problems and vibration. Triumph jobbed out a lot of their stuff. The cylinders were made elsewhere. They were crappy. But you could get a 750 for about 10 to 15 thousand and put sleeves in it. But you might still have crappy drum brakes, a four speed gearbox, no electric start, bad electrics and plenty of vibration.
For half the price and effort, a new RE 650 looks pretty good. I have a pic to post as soon as I get time. UK

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
One of the OG's on the CBR forum put over 300,000 on his F4i before moving on. Never did anything more than the scheduled maintenance and said it still ran like a top...

I'm just getting to 30,000 on mine and will be thrilled to reach 100,000... someday.

Reactions: Crawsack

·
Visionary
4,782 Posts
121,000 miles, 14 years old and runs like new.
I bought it 5 years ago with 45K from the original owner. The mileage would be twice that if i didn't have other bikes I ride regularly too.

Reactions: 350Four

·
Nightfly
4,465 Posts
The crappy Triumphs were from the early company, along with many other British brands. But Triumph were having serious problems towards the end, which would be the seventies.
The new company building bikes since 91, is completely different.
Norton and Triumph were making the same basic engine, fourty plus years after they were designed. As the size and power went up, so did the problems and vibration. Triumph jobbed out a lot of their stuff. The cylinders were made elsewhere. They were crappy. But you could get a 750 for about 10 to 15 thousand and put sleeves in it. But you might still have crappy drum brakes, a four speed gearbox, no electric start, bad electrics and plenty of vibration.
For half the price and effort, a new RE 650 looks pretty good. I have a pic to post as soon as I get time. UK
Thanks for the info, the pretty much says it all....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts