Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a curve that I can safely go 35-40 mph in a car but on the motorcycle (Honda 250 Nighthawk), I feel like I can barely take it at 25 mph.
Is this typical? Can cars typically handle curves better then motorcycles?
I am noticing I can take the turn faster by further leaning the motorcycle into the curve but then I pretty much get off the seat and lean myself in the opposite direction. Seems awkward but works.. is this what you are supposed to do? Thanks!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
Like Dods said lean with the bike not away from it. Have you learned to counter-steer where you push the inside handle bar away from you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
leaning with the bike into the curve seems like the bike is just going to fall over. I don't know about the countersteering. If the curve is to the left, I lean to the left and then steer to the right? I think you guys are just trying to kill me! LOL
maybe I just need to go even faster then? I will practice more tonight and see how it goes

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
And I'd say yea it is not unheard of to have a little trouble with curves until you get some saddle time in. You first instinct is to steer the bike rather than lean and counter-steer. It will all come together after a few hundred miles though if not before. Almost like a light bulb being lit you'll suddenly understand and then wonder why you was fighting it. Seems normal to me anyway.

·
14,301 Posts
leaning with the bike into the curve seems like the bike is just going to fall over. I don't know about the countersteering. If the curve is to the left, I lean to the left and then steer to the right? I think you guys are just trying to kill me! LOL
maybe I just need to go even faster then? I will practice more tonight and see how it goes
Nope not trying to kill you, but trying to keep you from getting hurt. As hog said you don't really turn the handlebars to steer a bike , you lean and lightly steer in the opposite direction.

Only at very slow speed do you actually turn the handlebars in the direction you want to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah ok, well there is a large flat area near me. On the weekend I can ride around in circles there and then keep increasing speed and lean angle and see how that goes. Thanks!

·
14,301 Posts
BRC is your friend. See my comment in your other thread.

·
14,301 Posts
You might be surprised, they should have a rider's course as it is mandatory to ride on base. Check with Security. I had to take a week long course back in the 80's when they started requiring it. And I had been riding for close to 20 years at that point.

They still have the outdoor theater there?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I emailed that guy, he never replied. nor did security bother with any endorsement or having class while registering the bike. There is 2 outdoor theaters here. the original lyceum (with upgraded soft cushion seats) and a smaller one

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Just go in a straight line to learn what counter-steering is. Push on one side from the inside to the outside while going straight and watch what happens. Be prepared to do the same thing to the other side though to get straight. You'll soon see how doing the same thing in a turn works so well. But just do it going straight to start with when you are on a road all by yourself. Easy does it though.

·
14,301 Posts
WST - it was the 80's last time I was there, if I remember correctly it was near the Xchange and Commissary. We pulled in a few times during ops and I spent more time at the top 3 club the Marines had. :)

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

As a beginner:

Basically there are two ways you will turn. One is at low speed (under 20mph, or so) where you can make the tightest turns by slightly turning the handlebars in the direction you want to go and tilt the bike on that side while leaning on your opposite cheek on the seat. This will tilt the bike which is ALWAYS what makes it turn. This is best accomplished by also giving some throttle, partial clutch, and some rear brake pressure. If you cannot do all this, you really need to read some bike training books or videos. You can get these on Amazon or perhaps through your library. An accomplished friend may be able to coach you.

The second way to turn is at more than 20mph, or so, and only needs three things. First is to look in the direction you want to go. Second is to push the handgrip forward on the side you are turning towards (so right turn, push forward on right hand). Third is to try to stay vertical with the bike which means you will be leaning right on a right curve.

If you do your practice in a parking lot, you will most likely be doing slow speed turns, which is good, but you need to practice good habits to develop good skills. This is very important. Going down the highway is easy. These slow speed drills are more important to learn first. Don't practice poor skills if you don't want to have to un-learn them later.

--

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes, the main theater is near the NEX. I haven't heard of the Top3 club although I don't go to marine hill that much either. the only club I know of is Rick's at the bayview and there is the pub O'Kelly's at the windjammer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok I do have the slow speeds turns down pretty well. its just the high speed ones I'm having a trouble with although I did try the little countersteer and it did seem to lean the bike a little more without losing any stability so that's a good thing.. I will practice more. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If you can make the bike lean then you are already doing counter steering.......you do not lean then do counter steering, counter steering is how you lean. You do not need to know about this, your brain does it automatically.

Your problem is that you are looking to close to the front tire, hold your head up and look to where you are wanting to go. Then everything will just flow naturally.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
pretty much get off the seat and lean myself in the opposite direction
That, friend, is dangerous.

Keep your butt on the seat at all times.

I would highly suggest parking your bike, and finding a rider course.

After you take the basic course, seek out an advanced rider course.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but if you don't understand the basic geometry and physics, you are liable to get hurt, or worse, cause someone else pain, suffering and/or damage.

If you are anywhere near San Antonio, I am more than happy to spend an afternoon with you.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as to say its dangerous. After all, supermoto guys do it all the time. However, what does happen when you counterbalance like that is you require the bike itself to lean more than it would if you leaned with the bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts