Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to move my speedometer from in front of the handle bars to behind the handlebars ... i have a 1999 honda shadow ace deluxe and want to put a windshield on it , i have the windshield but will need to relocate the speedo .... any sugjestions would be helpful

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I'm not familiar with that bike's set-up but generally speaking: You could fab up a bracket that will clamp around the bars and also bolt to the speedo holder. (Or around the speedo body.)

You might also be able to buy a ready made bracket if your bike has 1" handlebars, as there's many choices made for HD type bikes and there's a good chance one might fit your bill, or be easily adapted to what you want to do.

You can try calling JP Cycles metric tech line and see if they can locate something specifically for your bike.

Make sure the new location doesn't interfere with anything when you're turning the forks to either side. Make sure you're clear of obstructions ALL the way to the fork stop on each side.

If your speedo is electric it's just a matter of re-running the wires. If it's cable driven you'll need to re-route the drive cable. Hopefully the original will still be the right length, but if it's driven off the front wheel you may need a longer one, and if off the rear wheel or transmission you may need a shorter cable, or be able to safely "lose" a few inches of cable. (Usually under the tank.) Just make sure it's all smooth and you don't introduce any kinks or sharp bends.

If you need a new cable made up, Barnett's is a good company to deal with.

·
Ace Tuner
2,938 Posts
Too bad you already have the shield, you could get one that will bolt up with the speedo in the std position.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
i need to move my speedometer from in front of the handle bars to behind the handlebars ... i have a 1999 honda shadow ace deluxe and want to put a windshield on it , i have the windshield but will need to relocate the speedo .... any sugjestions would be helpful
Are you certain there isn't a bracket already made that clamps the windshield in place with the current position? Or are you doing a custom job?The Shadow has been around long enough that there should be something already out there. If not then what Eye_m_no_help suggested is the way to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
speedometer

thanks for the replies they give me ideas where to start .... i would have got one to fit with speedo in stock position but it was a cash factor ........ this one is brand new and free verses spending money ...... so free it is lol im cheap
anyway thanks guys
Doug

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's gonna cost you $$'s to relocate the speedo, and hopefully it doesn't look like a hack job afterwards..

& don't forget you're gonna have to relocate/extend all of the cables that go to the speedo as well..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts