Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1987 yamaha carb set is very tight in the frame. managed to get it out.began disassymbly to begin cleaning. now the float in the float bowl is held in by a 25 thds. pin. it,s to fragile to pull out like the climer repair book shows. anyone had success in removing it?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I use a thin piece of copper rod to tap them out, but I think the ones I have worked on are a lot thicker than that. I'd try to locate a new pin before messing with the old one.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
http://crcindustries.com/ei/product_detail.aspx?id=03020 You can buy this stuff[ might have to order it] at Oreille's auto parts. It is a good penetrant that softens up carb gum. i would spray it daily about three times or so, and then the pin should push right out. Sometimes the pin will only push out from one direction because of previous repairs.

If I sound overly cautious about this, it is because i know how easy it is to break off a pin post....

·
Ace Tuner
2,936 Posts
To avoid breaking the post the float pin is in:

You can use needle nose vice grips as a 'back up' on the posts. Just be careful not to set the vice grip too tight.
Also, the pin is usually intended to be installed in one direction and removed the opposite direction. Hard to tell which way to go before removal. :confused:
Use a small punch and a small hammer, tap ever so lightly. Go slow and easy, take your time.
Like slumlord said you could chem clean the area before removing the float pin/float with a carb cleaner like B12 Chemtool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts