Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey

I’m finished with the welding works now. I would like to know your opinion as for painting. I’d like to make it look custom. What paint will not get bubbled or cracked? What degreaser to take? If you had similar DIY repainting projects, give the tips.

Chris

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Surface preparation is probably the most important step in painting. To prevent imperfections, everything has to be really smooth and really clean.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
I think temperature is the next important thing to keep in mind. I like ColorRite but only because they make paint to match your bike.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,296 Posts
add dust to the mixture to avoid

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
add dust to the mixture to avoid

Thanks, the surface preparation is really a long and tedious process. Surely, I cannot skip it. I took the sand paper and the degreaser. The problem is with the paint. The ideal paint that one drying fast. If the paint dries long how to protect it from dust?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
By far the best paint of that type [hardware store rattle can] that I have used has been Rustoleum. Rustoleum seems much less likely to fisheye if your degreasing is less than perfect. You can also buy Rustoleum in a can and add hardener to it that you buy from Tractor Supply. Of course now you need a paint gun and I got by on one from Harbor Freight. Use Rustoleum etching primer under your finish coat. Use metal prep to clean the metal before priming.
You can see the results and a detailed explanation of how I got them on page 7 and 8 of this thread. http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=146490&page=8 [or get bored to death and read the entire thing]

Remember that I am a first time painter and no expert, but there may be enough there to get you started. Also find posts by Graceshredder and Risingson as they really know paint and do beautiful restorations.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
old paint new paint

listen to this please.
There are lots of paints, ech takes a special expertise to apply right.

The old Delstar Acrylic Eurathanes were thinned with Reducers(fast dry, med dry and slow dry for different temps), you could spray an entire car with a quart, using a thin coat, and fine spray, just dusting it. You can get Delstar but it is about 145.00 a quart. So, what?
The new paints are designed to be applied in thick, full wet coats at high temperature and are often thinned with lacquer thinners and are really runny, you need 70 plus weather, and a paintroom or tent that has wetted ground inside, to stop the dust. Then you have to mix it to stick; but thats true with all paints... so think like sticky, and stick the spray on it.

I would say for a great paint job, you need to set yourself up for the entire paint job, and then stay on your time schedule... all the way home. Dont stay in one place, and don't go back over an area you didn't quite get, you can always wait for it to dry and paint it again...you can't--fix runs, or clean up orangepeel(peel happens when you didn't get the surface prepped acording to the instructions,,, some paints use a wax remover to clean up... others use lacquer thinner.
\
look ma...! no runs peel or nothin!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts