Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So stator to rectifier connector appears to have melted before and the PO thought an adequate fix would be to just goop RTV all over. I'm having charging issues and I'd like to get this fixed. However I can't find a repair kit or just the connector. I'd really prefer not to have to buy a whole new stator

Can I delete the connector and just splice straight through?

It's a 1980 Honda Cb750F

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I do, quite frequently on older Hondas.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
stator connectors

The stator is a large rotating fly wheel that generally has no connections to it, except for on some of the recent machines. It generally has a set of opposing teeth, that whirl between a large coil that causes it to become an electro magnet. On some machines the stator has a set of copper rings that run on a set of contacts on its back side, near the shaft. This delivers a phase power signal, that is used to half rectify the current before it goes into a regulator which contains a secondary diode to turn it into a full rectified power, it was an idea that was very costly for us rider builders, they fail often, are effected by barometric pressure and weather, and cause the mechanic to require a second set of wiring and terminals for the generator to operate properly.

It is like a really primative version of an alternator, where all the guts are on the outside, and the powerplant is simply the shaft.
Personally, I like the old electromagnet style alternators, simply because they don't have to be switched, to work. The connectors are just like any other connectors EXCEPT ONE THING- They are extra heavy duty- They have to carry full signal, which is only about 1 or 2 volts but, if they aren't good connections, or the wiring is failing, the entire system will get hot.
SO IF YOUR SYSTEM MELTED- YOU PROBABLY HAVE A BAD SET OF WIRES IN IT, AND ALL THE CONNECTING YOU DO WILL BE FOR NOT UNTIL YOU FIND THE PROBLEM AND FIX IT.
That said, someone probably rewrapped the stator using to small, or not enough, wire, and so I would say....honestly, just replace the entire generator, the regulator might be failing also, so replace it, and check all of the power circuit wiring for loose connections, or broken connectors, or mashed wires. >>>!

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
The stator is a large rotating fly wheel that generally has no connections to it, except for on some of the recent machines.
The stator is the stationary part of an electric generator. It doesn't rotate.

It's easy to remember: The STATor is STATionary. The ROTor ROTates.

:)

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
There are three yellow wires that come out of the stator and plug into the harness with a plastic connector. Honda bikes of this era are notorious for melting this connector, which will leave you on the side of the road. When I'm building one I nearly always just delete the connector and solder the wires together - a lot of people do this.

For clarification's sake.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
The stator is a large rotating fly wheel that generally has no connections to it, except for on some of the recent machines. It generally has a set of opposing teeth, that whirl between a large coil that causes it to become an electro magnet. On some machines the stator has a set of copper rings that run on a set of contacts on its back side, near the shaft. This delivers a phase power signal, that is used to half rectify the current before it goes into a regulator which contains a secondary diode to turn it into a full rectified power, it was an idea that was very costly for us rider builders, they fail often, are effected by barometric pressure and weather, and cause the mechanic to require a second set of wiring and terminals for the generator to operate properly.

It is like a really primative version of an alternator.............
"Thanks" for that. A buddy of mine had his Stator replaced recently, and I didn't know when he asked me, what it does. Now I DO, and I can share it with him.

Appreciate your explanation.

-Soupy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been told that the Stator on my 2008 Yamaha Royal Venture is bad. Is it easy to replace or should I have a shop do it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts