Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Sad to say it but I haven't posted anything since last winter when my bike died and I needed to do winter repairs BUT! here I am again and you all certainly helped a lot last time!

I ride a 1983 Suzuki GS750E

SO I think I may have fried my charging system. I was getting a jump this spring and my friend ignored my instructions and started the car I was getting a jump from. Put a brand new battery in and commuted a half hour to and from work everyday for about two weeks i think. Then I took a ride up to vermont about 200 miles. Stayed there for a couple days then coming back about 180+ miles into the ride I pulled into a gas station and the bike died when idling down. Then it wouldn't start again. Couldn't pop start. Got a jump had the bike mid choke (it had cooled down a bit) walked over to my jacket and heard the bike cut out suddenly. Had to get two more jumps before realizing the bike would die everytime unless I kept the rpm up above like 2 grand. Had an awful and loud ride home in which I noticed the tack would drop if i used my directionals or any electrical components. Bike hasn't started since.

Any ideas on where to start as far as a diagnosis/repairs are appreciated.

Most IMP I plan on doing major work on my bike this winter, I can not find a clymer book! If anyone can tell me where to find a book for my bike (anything to walk me through repair/maintenance work) I will spend almost anything its a 1983 suzukigs750e.

Jake

Thanks in advance!

·
New but totaly addicted
31 Posts
Well since charging appears to be the issue here (and jump starting can easily fry the whole shabang) I'd start by testing the resistance of your stator. If you get almost no resistance the stator has shorted somewhere. If you get infinite resistance then something has broken. Not sure what the resistance rating is for your stator but I'm sure it's in the manual. It sounds like your stator isn't producing enough current seeing as you can run the bike at high rpms...

speaking of which you may be able to find something here...
http://www.classiccycles.org/1852/1915.html

if not the exact manual at least something helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts