Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you guys could give me some information and comparisons between a few bikes and their 0-60 performance

Aprilia Shiver 750

Honda CBR650

Kawasaki Ninja 650

Yamaha r6

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
It simply means he said something and regretted it after hitting the post button so went back and removed it since we don't have a delete post option. He couldn't control his mouth in other words.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
You're better off comparing 1/4 mile times. It's a more accurate representation of the bike's power.

0-60 times are what magazines use to impress people who buy car magazines that aren't really car guys.

·
8,572 Posts
"GOOGLE" is your search friend as in: "0-60 mph times for the Yamaha R6."

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Gooch, if I am correct you had another post asking about the Shiver 750 as a first bike for you? You tell of experience on other bikes not your own, how much experience? A few turns around a parking lot or up and down a street? Not to criticize but if you don't have much time riding you would be much better served looking at 60-0 times or braking performance than how fast a bike is to make a choice for a first bike. Just a thought.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah this was more just out of curiosity/broadening my knowledge. I am most likely going to get a used ninja 300 to start me off because that seems like the general agreement is that is a great starting bike that isn't as weak as something like a 125.

Thank you guys

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And as for experience I've ridden dirt bikes around tracks (no jumps) and through the dunes at the beach, I have also ridden ATVs in the same dunes and on a dry lake bed many times. And as for street biking I've only been on the highway a few times, but mostly around surface streets and neighborhoods/parking lots

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was wondering if you guys could give me some information and comparisons between a few bikes and their 0-60 performance

Aprilia Shiver 750

Honda CBR650

Kawasaki Ninja 650

Yamaha r6

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:
Thing is, Gooch, that 0-60 isn't really a good metric for motorcycles. Too much depends on the launch, so data may not be comparable. If that's the measure you want, look for: same rider, same day, equally fresh bikes.

For an answer to the more subjective question, "How hard does the sucker accelerate?" quarter-mile MPH is the number to look at. While the test itself isn't something most of us do in the real world, it's fairly repeatable because it depends less on launch. And trap speed is a pretty good predictor of the oomph you feel on the road when you really get on it.

Aprilia Shiver 750: 0-60 = 4.15, 1/4-mile = 108.0
CBR650: 0-60 = 3.91, 1/4 mile = 111.8
Ninja 650: 0-60 = 3.99, 1/4 mile = 104.9
R6: 0-60 = 3.12, 1/4 mile = 128.2

Don't take these numbers too seriously. Look around some more and you'll find different results from different sources.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I recently read on a forum about our databases that have been compiled from magazine numbers. A few of the posters suggested that magazines would alter their numbers based upon how much sponsorship money they were getting from companies. One of the examples that was given was a huge splash that was made back in the '80's in one of the magazines, l want to say it was Cycle World, but l am not positive, by the Yamaha Radian, which was actually a nothing special kind of bike. There was a lot of space given to the bike, it was road tested, included in a shootout, taken on a special trip, blah blah blah. The magazine claimed an 11.53 quarter mile time for it. It wasn't until a month or two later when a reader wrote in and asked if it was meant to be a 12.53 that they finally fessed up, in the name of a typo. Yet the 11.53 number had been splashed around that issue in a few different places. So l really don't put a lot of stock in those numbers.

When it comes to actual riding, it isn't very often that you would really be able to find out anyway. Every once in a while l would get on the freeway and have an open onramp and could open it up, or maybe out on some country road, but reality is that most of your time riding will be spent between gears 3 and 5 anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts