Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a suzuki GS500 and am having trouble with it this year. I bought this GS about a year and a couple months ago. Last year I had to seal the fuel tank and get the carbs cleaned out because when I got it , it had rust in the fuel tank. It rode great all last season after I did this. When I first got it out this year, I noticed it was running real rough as far as sputtering and back firing so, I had the carbs cleaned and all the necessary parts replaced. When I got it back it rode great except it was idling high so, I adjusted the idle screw and eventually I had to adjust the mix screw a bit. I rode one day and for a while it rode great. After about 3 hours of ridding I put it up for a bit. When I went to ride again, it just putted out after about 5 minutes of ridding. I tried and tried and eventually it started. I was able to get it back home. It seemed like there was dust or something in the line because it seemed that something blocked the gas which killed the engine but then I unblocked it by reving the engine pretty high. Now, it will start easily after in has set for a while and it will go a couple of blocks before it dies. After sitting for 5 or 6 hours it will start and run great for a couple of blocks and then it dies again. It is like gas is draining into the carbs and lines while it is sitting but once I run it and that fuel runs out no more will come through until I let it sit again. Is something stopped up? Is there an additive that will fix it? Do I need to seal the tank and get the carbs cleaned out again?? I really like this bike alot and I know that it can be fixed. When it is running, it runs like a dream. Thanks for any help!! I will check this site or you can email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
This has a familiar ring to it, back in my youth I used to play practical jokes with friends, one of my favorite was the drop a condom (still rolled) into the gas tank, the suction from the fuel pump would pull it down and cover the line, then after sitting for a little bit it would float back up and the car would run just fine, it would disolve after a day or so. So the familiar part I am talking about is that it sounds like you have something in your tank that is covering your fuel outlet, it may be a piece of rust, or if you had it lined maybe some of the lining (aren't they usually a rubber compound?) has flaked off and is floating around. Drain the tank, remove it and see if there is any foreign objects in there. (this is just a guess though, I may be completely off here)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts