Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I live off my motorcycle and I still haven't gotten too much into the whole cooking over fire thing- BUT I WANT TO!!!

I'm camping out each and every day and yet I still cook and eat like a college boy neanderthal. I REALLY want to expand my ability to eat well, but I need a recipe book that is about as basic as they come for campfire cooking. I'm not interested in dehydrating, weight savings, or how to catch and skin a polar bear in the event that I'm stranded at the north pole.

I'm a meat, bacon (different than meat ), potatoes, and veggies guy. I love bacon (bares repeating) and cheese.

Salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, parsley, onion powder, red pepper, bullion cubes: that's about as complicated as I want to get for seasoning.

Simple instructions that can be considered fairly intuitive is a bonus.

Come on guys! Help this poor malnourished soul find cooking redemption!!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 custom/ modded Yamaha R3
468 Posts
Are you looking for meals you can cook on your motor or exhaust pipe?

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
You're going to have to get some cooking utensils, but I suppose you have already thought about that. Are you pulling a trailer? Do you have an ice chest, or cooler, you can store your meat and vegetables in? If you got a good skillet, you can cook your meat and taters in the same skillet and if you're careful enough, eat right out of the skillet. Less clean up.

And nothing smells as good as bacon frying in the morning. Can also fry some eggs in the bacon grease.

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
I used to take a bit of gas from my bike to start the fire a bit quicker. Get heat fast. The tent also need to be easy to erect.
I would just do ham and eggs at the nearest restaurant. Fruit for lunch, and location would determine dinner / beer. UK

·
Registered
468 Posts
How do you touring guys make money on the road. I want to tour, but broke AF.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
215 Posts
It's called retirement and a 401k. Keep the faith, pay your dues, and someday.....

I take a 2 week ride every summer (last year it was a short one... just over a week). Bought my Versys last spring, and it now has 6,700 miles on it. Food? Breakfast at the motel (no camping for this old fart... I don't like to get dressed sitting on the ground), lunch at a fast food joint, dinner at a Mexican place or a rib joint, stop at a bottle shop after dinner, beer and a cigar back at the motel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're going to have to get some cooking utensils, but I suppose you have already thought about that. Are you pulling a trailer? Do you have an ice chest, or cooler, you can store your meat and vegetables in? If you got a good skillet, you can cook your meat and taters in the same skillet and if you're careful enough, eat right out of the skillet. Less clean up.

And nothing smells as good as bacon frying in the morning. Can also fry some eggs in the bacon grease.
I have a Firebox stove, a set of GSI nesting pots and pans (stainless), an MSR Pocket Rocket 2 stove, a titanium spork, a Condor bushcraft knife, my Leatherman...no cast iron. Probably should get a good Lodge fry pan to keep strictly on the bike.

I have a no trailer (yet ), and my ice cooler consists of a Rachael Ray Jumbo Chill Out Thermal Tote for lack of more room. I just get two, three days worth of food at a time right now. Any fresh foods getting eaten within a few hours.

Oh! And I have a 3 quart cook pot/oven with a thermometer add-on!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's called retirement and a 401k. Keep the faith, pay your dues, and someday.....

I take a 2 week ride every summer (last year it was a short one... just over a week). Bought my Versys last spring, and it now has 6,700 miles on it. Food? Breakfast at the motel (no camping for this old fart... I don't like to get dressed sitting on the ground), lunch at a fast food joint, dinner at a Mexican place or a rib joint, stop at a bottle shop after dinner, beer and a cigar back at the motel.
Respect for those that have that sort of patience, but really, if you're not picky, odd jobs can be had everywhere on the road. You have to think creatively.

I'm FAR from retirement, but I'm a bit of an amateur survivalist in that I have invested in all the outdoor gear first before I'd even considered financing a motorcycle.

I started with voluntarily becoming homeless with a decent tent and sleeping bag, and not much else. I don't propose to start THAT minimalisticly, but it can be done at ANY age.

It was three years coming for me. I put in a lot of work and research. Unfortunately for me, that research was lazy in regards to good eating.

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
I am an unemployed bum.
BUT: I did put in 52 years of full time work to get here. These days I am too busy building a house, to do much else. However we will take a cruise on the boat this summer, if the health department folks allow it. We would normally go to remote places that have little or no health facilities. 020 was the first year we missed in a 11 years. We are usually gone for a minimum of 4 weeks, usually 6. We manage to pack all our gear on a 34 foot sail boat. And it is crammed, as in loaded. UK

·
Registered
468 Posts
LMFAO! No, sir. I haven't gone THAT reptilian yet. Lol.

Well, If you ever come across the 805, you have a free meal and one nights tent camping @ motoland. That goes for all bikers!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Here's what you need you need a great big hunk of Salmon, some onions, lemon, a little salt and butter and enough aluminum foil to make a little oven thing around it (with air space over the top, don't squish it down.)
Now you need some fire, (preferably ambers and not intense flames.) Cook it and eat it, it will be good and if you are really hungry it will be terrific.
Potatoes you can boil or fry separate or you can slice them and fire them in with the Salmon.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Retired people live on a fixed income ;)

... any frozen food you pack keeps the other food cold until it thaws out and is ready to eat, buy a big chunk of back bacon, slice it up with food wrap between the slices, freeze it solid and use it instead of ice.

Buy a small camp hammock and tarp, beats the heck out of a tent in the rain, not so great in the prairies or desert.

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
Before boats had fridges, or before we could afford a fridge, we froze the beer and used that as ice cubes. We could not afford ice cubes, and they were not readily available. We drank the beer as it thawed.

We run two fridges on the boat now. Not large ones. One for beer with some vegetables on top, the other one for food with some frozen stuff. The extra beer we keep down low next to the hull. That keeps the beer cool, and the weight down low. UK

1 - 20 of 26 Posts