Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 DT175 which needs a restore. It has clutch, electrical, suspension, upholstery and braking problems. Won't go into detail but I reckon it will cost a bit.

So what does everyone think, should I fix up this bike which will probably cost upwards of $1000 Australian or go out and buy a good used bike for less than $2500 Australian?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
That's really a question that only you can answer for yourself..

What are your goals for this bike? Do you want something to ride ASAP?

Do you/will you enjoy the work?

CAN you do the work?

Will the sum of what you're putting into it plus the cost of the bike exceed its value?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's really a question that only you can answer for yourself..

What are your goals for this bike? Do you want something to ride ASAP?

Do you/will you enjoy the work?

CAN you do the work?

Will the sum of what you're putting into it plus the cost of the bike exceed its value?
I just need a bike for general riding. I don't need to perfect until next year because I have to get my license first.

I will absolutely enjoy and be able to do the work, I'm an Apprentice Light Vehicle Motor Mechanic.

It's hard to tell, for a restored bike, with a few problems they are selling for around $2000 AUD. So I could probably get it restored under or a bit over it's cost, not including rego, insurance, etc.

If you'd like, I can provide a comprehensive list of the problems that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Something to be aware of is that what you don't already know about does exist and you will find most of it while repairing what you do know about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something to be aware of is that what you don't already know about does exist and you will find most of it while repairing what you do know about.
Thats one of my main concern's. What I'm thinking of doing is getting my local repair shop to look over it and tell me what has to be fixed to pass registration and how much for parts. Then I can inspect each item and look for any further problems.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
well put!

·
Registered
155 Posts
clutch, electrical, suspension, upholstery and braking problems.
I think this would be a wonderful bike to have in the stable, I like dual sports and look forward to getting one myself.
As far as the work needed, all sounds like normal wear and tear and just need to keep up with it.
I would without a doubt fix this bike, with the info you have given.
And in decent shape, you should always be able to sell it for a reasonable price later if wanted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think this would be a wonderful bike to have in the stable, I like dual sports and look forward to getting one myself.
As far as the work needed, all sounds like normal wear and tear and just need to keep up with it.
I would without a doubt fix this bike, with the info you have given.
And in decent shape, you should always be able to sell it for a reasonable price later if wanted.
Thanks for that boost in confidence. I would agree that everything is wear and tear except for the the seat which was chewed up by a dog who was looking for a rat. LOL.

What I'm having trouble with is finding parts for it, like clutch plates, springs and brake shoes. I can find parts for older model but not mine. Any suggestions for places to try?

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Thanks for that boost in confidence. I would agree that everything is wear and tear except for the the seat which was chewed up by a dog who was looking for a rat. LOL.

What I'm having trouble with is finding parts for it, like clutch plates, springs and brake shoes. I can find parts for older model but not mine. Any suggestions for places to try?
This is definitely something to consider, not only for the restoration, but for down the road...what about when you need future repairs? I was selling a spare seat for my FJ1200 and I had an Aussie wanting to buy it, even though shipping was $150 USD, because they just weren't available there. So for me, I would want to be getting a bike with a good supply of parts available. If you poke around on the internet you can find resources that will tell you what year/models were imported to Australia. I would stay away from anything that wasn't brought in for several years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is definitely something to consider, not only for the restoration, but for down the road...what about when you need future repairs? I was selling a spare seat for my FJ1200 and I had an Aussie wanting to buy it, even though shipping was $150 USD, because they just weren't available there. So for me, I would want to be getting a bike with a good supply of parts available. If you poke around on the internet you can find resources that will tell you what year/models were imported to Australia. I would stay away from anything that wasn't brought in for several years.
Good news, I was able to find a supplier that stocks everything I need. I found out about them by contacting a guy who was selling his DT175. So far, the parts that need replacing add up to $284.78 AUD. Which is just the seat. I will have to check the condition of the shoes, but I got them quoted, just in case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1975 CB750 F Super Sport

I received a 1975 CB750 F from a relative when I graduated highschool ten years ago. 17k miles on it. Needs some TLC. Been polishing chrome w/aluminum foil and replaced the seat foam and cover so far.

What is the best way to clean out an old gas tank? Still have fuel in it! UGH!!! OVER 10-20 YEARS OLD FUEL!!!

Also, is it all that hard to rebuild a carb? and where can I find a good tutorial video on how to do it step by step? Thanks!

One more thing... I need 15 posts to post links or pics!!! THATS LUDICROUS!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts