Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seat currently on the bike is due for an upgrade -- any suggestions on where to get a good replacement seat with the same look?

Also, the ignition coils are the originals and the spark plug wires leak current which is causing trouble. I'd replace just the wires, but they're molded into the coils and can't be replaced separately. Has anyone replaced the coils on a similar bike? Are there good aftermarket coils that would work?

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I replaced my original coils on my 81 GS550L last year. The wires on mine were dry as well. I used the green Dyna 3.0 ohm coils which I bought from Z1Enterprises. Since the wires weren't molded into the coils like the factory ones I had to get coil wires at the same time. The non-suppression wires were what I bought. The new coils made a big difference and the bike is nice and smooth now.

If the seat pan is still good you can get aftermarket seat covers from JC Whitney. It won't have the 'Suzuki' embossed on the back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Did you have to make any modifications (re-jet carbs, etc.?) when you installed the Dyna coils?

Unfortunately the seat pan is all rusted and falling apart. I picked up a replacement seat cover last year so the seat looks ok now, but the cover's attached largely with duct tape and fishing line -- not something I want to keep for too long!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did go through and re-adjust the carbs after replacing the coils because I had been trying to get it sync'd properly with a poor spark from the old coils. Installing the new coils made a big difference once I sync'd the carbs. It was well worth doing.

As far as the seat pan is concerned, you could always post a request in the parts wanted forum on www.thegsresources.com

There are a lot of guys who have gs parts bikes on there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts