Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got them out and cut new slots for them, but one was so bad I had to cut the new notch off center. I would like to replace them if I can find any.

The first generation XVZ1200 Venture Royale is a collectors piece and I would hate to leave it like this!

These carb bowl drains aren't really drains, they are built into the carb body and just provide access to measure the fuel level in the bowls, with special tubes attached to the carbs.

If anyone has the fuel level tube that you connect to the tubes to measure the level...I would be interesed in those too.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
It might help if you post the pitch, nominal diameter (or pitch diameter,) length, head type, and any other descriptors that are appropriate. I have no idea what sort of screw is used for the bowl drain on your bike, but if you can tell us what sort of screw it is someone might have a source they can point you to. Heck, some of the metric-minded machinist types could possibly even make you one.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Level with me.

I just went through the fuel line hose selection, until I found a piece that fit.
I know the book refers to it as a special tool, but it looks like clear fuel line to me. The nuts and bolts shop probably has a nut or bolt that will fit.

I just found some stainless steel 6 mm grub screws.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
repost to add something

K... now for the deep dark description that is unreadable....

The '83 Venture Royale has vertical Round slide Mikunis on it, its a V-4, with a carb for each.

Immediately you assume they are CV(constant velocity) but I think they are metered velocity, I remember reading something that stated with the YICS and the fuel pump; that CV carbs are not meterable, with all the gas and air mix being previously metered.

On the carb grouping(the four are racked together as a set)- the overflows on the bowls are on the top of the bowls, centered on the group, with plastic tube that allows directly flowing the excess gas down tubes betwixt yer legs, and in front of the rear tire.

The carbs have 1/2 donut floats, and the bowls are built onto the side of the carbs. It is quite a nice configuration after you get the JIS #3 phillips replaced with some 8mm head octabolts, so you can do a bowl/float takedown without a 90 degree phillips...

The fuel level screws(drain screws?) are part of the main carb body, and the fuel level tubes are also part of the carb body(one of these broke so I brass wired the tube to the 'extruded brass to 90 degree plastic'- "fuel level tube" holder. The extruded brass, is built into the carb body.

As the bowl fills with fuel, the 1/2 donut float rises to the float needle, which is spring loaded to resist closing, and as the level goes up, the floats lever the needle closed(at least, thats what it is supposed to do.)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
If this is the drawing, [I had to guess because you did not give us the model year of the bike] Please find the screw as numbered on the drawing, and we can possibly work from there. I am guessing part 39 [described as screw,plug]

So if that is true, the factory reference number is 22u-14115-00-00 and it is used on crap loads of Yammie carbs.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-22U-14115-00-00.html.

Hope this posts up and does some good...

Slum

PS. i tried to link to the Partzilla parts finder for a 1983 or 1984 bike like [I think} is yours, but the partzilla site protects that from linking to another site. You can find the parts finder and associated drawing and check out whether or not I guessed correctly.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went to th Powersports shop, and they corss referenced the exact same part, but on the diagram this is the bowl drain plug, and not the fuel level tube valve screw.

I need (ahem), the fuel level valve screw. Not the big drain plug. It is not on any of the parts diagrams I have found online. The diagrams I have found, are complete carb grouping diagrams with exploded carbs on them...

I am looking for a takedown diagram for an individual 34mm Mikuni vertical carb.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Try this

This site has the best parts fiche as far as detail and clarity that I have found. Maybe you can find the correct OEM number for your part on there. Since I am a Honda guy with 7 0f them under my care, you have a better shot at picking the correct number than do I.

http://www.cmsnl.com/

So just go ahead and post the OEM and I will help if I can.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Drain screw.

What if the drain screw and the float level checker are the same thing.
It is called the drain screw on the blow up pic for the carb on my XS400.
It is also the float level check. The screw is removed, petrol pours out. I plug the hole with a piece of fuel line that fits snug, and turn the fuel tap to prime. The bowl fills, the clear fuel line fills and I check the level.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
parts costs...

They want 21.00 a peice with o-rings at the powersports...

thinking brass rods specially tapped and died.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts